• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My V can't overclock...

Try uninstalling. Download a fresh one and verify the md5sum before installing. Go to the All Things Root Guide and download LeslieAnn's or obijohn's wiper and put it on the root of the sd card with the ROM
In the recovery Wipe cache partition, dalvik cache (found in the advanced section). Go to the mounts and storage section and format the boot, data, cache and system.
Then install the wiper and let it wipe some more. Then install the ROM.
This should get it hooked up right . Make sure you reboot the ROM a couple of times before attempting to change the CPU speed and don't set on boot until you have it stable.
Hint: Leave the min set to 480MHz. then, starting at 768MHz, move the max up one setting at a time until the phone reboots on it's own. Back the setting down 2 settings and this is where you can safely set the CPU setting. Now you can set at boot.

Upvote 0
The md5 sum is a unique number generated to verify if a download has not been corrupted. If the md5 sum you get after you download something doesn't match the md5 sum at the download site, then the download is corrupt. There is AFV (Android File Verifier) from the market. The BACKside ROM's updater has this ability built in.
For the PC there are several md5 sum checkers. Pick one

Upvote 0
Do the MD5 verification from the sdcard itself, since corruption can happen even while just copying to your phone (actually it's every bit as possible).

Another thing, the OV is fickle about SDcards. You may want to backup the re-format your sdcard from the phone itself (then put everything back on). Always format from the device you intend to use it in, not the computer for maximum stability.

Also, you may want to see what apps are running in the background, one of them may be causing the instability. You may find you have to wipe the app data, or even completely re-install from the Play Store with no data restored to get it working. Also, where you place said apps can be an issue. Some while claiming app2sd compatible, are not and even sd-ext can create issues. Anything running at all times should be on the phone itself, this includes launchers, background apps, and widgets.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0

Another thing, the OV is fickle about SDcards. You may want to backup the re-format your sdcard from the phone itself (then put everything back on). Always format from the device you intend to use it in, not the computer for maximum stability.

Tell me about it...
My sdcard even is not detected in about one of every ten reboots. I have to reboot or physically remove/insert sdcard to get it recognized.

Upvote 0
As a reminder, some CPUs are more overclockable then others. Try a few ROMs to make sure, but if the phone keeps rebooting, it is from a system component(including CPU/RAM/Bus) that cannot take the increased clock speed. So please do not beat a dead horse, it can lead to the phone frying.

Be cautious :)

Also looking at the Kernel logs will give you the best chance at what is causing the reboots. Kernel is the hardware manager after all! :)

Upvote 0
Cannot overclock my V at all. Reboots very soon thereafter .. ah well.
What ROM do you have? What kernel do you have? At what CPU speed did the ROM start to reboot?
As a good rule of thumb: Set the min. at 480MHz and leave it alone. Then set the Max. at the setting just above 600MHz. Do not check the Run on boot box yet. Keep setting the max one setting up (making sure you open up a few apps to make sure their operating ok) until the ROM reboots. Then drop the CPU speed setting down two settings. This is where you can safely be overclocked to.
If you are using any of the IHO CM-7 ROM's then the overclocking control has been built in and any overclocking app may cause instability and conflict. To access the Overclocking settings go to settings/CyanogenMod settings/performance/CPU settings.
If you are not using any of the above mentioned ROM's then you may need to perform a complete wipe and install a fresh download of the ROM you chose (it may have become corrupted). Before installing check the md5 sum of the download with the md5 sum provided on the developers site. You can go to the Market and Download a File Verify'r. If they don't match then the download is corrupt.

Upvote 0
What ROM do you have? What kernel do you have? At what CPU speed did the ROM start to reboot?
As a good rule of thumb: Set the min. at 480MHz and leave it alone. Then set the Max. at the setting just above 600MHz. Do not check the Run on boot box yet. Keep setting the max one setting up (making sure you open up a few apps to make sure their operating ok) until the ROM reboots. Then drop the CPU speed setting down two settings. This is where you can safely be overclocked to.
If you are using any of the IHO CM-7 ROM's then the overclocking control has been built in and any overclocking app may cause instability and conflict. To access the Overclocking settings go to settings/CyanogenMod settings/performance/CPU settings.
If you are not using any of the above mentioned ROM's then you may need to perform a complete wipe and install a fresh download of the ROM you chose (it may have become corrupted). Before installing check the md5 sum of the download with the md5 sum provided on the developers site. You can go to the Market and Download a File Verify'r. If they don't match then the download is corrupt.

Hey AndyOpie,

As my profile says ( ;) ) I am running the latest BACKside ROM. I am using the overclocking control built into CM-7. I have tried the lowest max overclock setting available at 729Mhz and it still reboots relatively quickly. Loading Dolphin or Maps Navigator will expedite that process. I have not touched the minimum CPU setting much. So I think I really am stuck at 600Mhz unless there is something I am completely missing. The phone works well at stock speeds for the most part so I am not all that disappointed.

Upvote 0
This is not normal behavior. Did you install Busybox right after rooting? did you update the Superuser app right after rooting? Did you update the su binaries right after rooting?
Have you tried a fresh download, making sure you wipe and format everything necessary for a New Rom install? Download AFV (Android File Verifier). Make sure you write down the md5 sum from the dev's site and check it against what AFV shows after you download the ROM (After you select "select file" long press the ROM.zip and select the first option).

Go here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770 and read thru it for the proper pre ROM-install wipe and format procedure.

Upvote 0
If you have a stock ROM you must first install an overclocking kernel that is suited for you screen version. If you have a CM-7 or CM-9 ROM then the overclocking utility is a part of the system(it is found in the CyanogenMod settings on the CM-7 ROM) and trying to overclock with a downloaded app might conflict with the one on the system.
Other than that, You made need to re-download and install a fresh ROM (and Gapps if needed), making sure you compare the md5 sums after it's downloaded to make sure it didn't become corrupt.

Upvote 0
I re-downloaded backside rom and made sure the md5 sums were the same from the phone. I flashed it using jerryscript's recovery. Everything is completely stable until I change any cpu settings. It doesn't like a minimum of 480mhz, it starts locking up doing some tasks. if i change a max freq setting from 600 or change the govener, it reboots within minutes. This is the second install of this rom so I dont think that I have a bad flash.

EDIT: To be clear, I used the built in controls to change CPU settings

EDIT 2: I restored User apps from Titanium, with theid data. Could this be causing the problem? no system apps were restored

Upvote 0
The only batch operation that you can use and not possibly corrupt the new ROM is the first batch restore option: Restore missing apps with data. If you used any other option you need to start from scratch in your recovery and wipe and format everything need for a New ROM install.
If you only used the first option, What pre-ROM installation wipe and format procedure did you follow. Explain in detail. Example: selected wipe cache partition, then selected wipe dalvik cache, etc., etc.
There is something that you are missing, or are not doing properly from what I can tell. You shouldn't have any problem with CPU overclocking. If you give me enough info I might be able to see where you went wrong, and steer you to a solution.

Upvote 0
This is happening more and more. Maybe the newest ones are crap cpus.
I don't think that is the case. Everything VM is doing is to keep us from messing with the phone.

vernave: Seeing's how you are rooted download QtADB and install it onto your PC. You can find it in the All Things Root Guide. Then PM nijel and explain your problem and what you explained to me as for as what you have done to troubleshoot. See if he can figure out if there is some kind of script or something that is keeping you from overclocking the CPU.

Upvote 0
I really appreciate the help, but the system is rock solid at standard clocks, all I really wanted the OC for was trying to get netflix to run semi-smoothly. I think I will just call it good enough. Thank you again for your help, lets hope the EVO 3D to VM rumors are true so we can ditch these budget phones :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones