1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My Verizon Mobile frustrations

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dingo314, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Dingo314

Dingo314 Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    Hi all,

First post so I hope I'm doing it correctly. Verizon just sent down a software upgrade that I was forced to accept. Now there are several Verizon Apps on my phone (HTC Thunderbolt) that open automatically, even after I kill them and force stop them, and then curse at them a lot. A few minutes after I force stop the My Verizon Mobile app it starts up again. It's extremly frustrating since I don't have 4G yet and it eats data when I'm trying to do something else. Verizon says I should just live with it since I have unlimited data.

Any ideas how I can stop them for good? Or for evil, I don't care, as long as they go away. THANKS!

Advertisement

2. joggy

joggy Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Dingo314 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    *moved to the Thunderbolt Forum*

What exactly are these apps and how do you determine that they are running? A carrier should not be able to push an app to you that uses data which you can't shut off.

I think part of the problem may be with task killing ... stop it, it's not doing you any good. Android will continue to relaunch many killed apps and pretty soon you will have taught Android that the app needs to be open all the time (although, it's probably not running in the "consuming CPU cycles" sense)

Dingo314 likes this.
  4. Dingo314

Dingo314 Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    The apps in question are the "My Verizon Moblie" app, the V Cast Apps and the V Cast Media apps. The My Verizon Mobile App also keeps informing me that there is a data usage widget available and no matter how many times I clear it, this message comes back.

You're right, I do try to kill these every chance I get, and I do Force Close them fairly often. I wasn't aware that I could teach my Thunderbolt that these should remain open.

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I can't help you with the apps as I don't have a Verizon Phone, but I can tell you that Android manages memory and preloads apps based on complex predictive algorithms. Android tries to make the most of all available memory by caching apps that will most likely be used soon or have just been used. One (of the many) problems with killing apps is that since they were recently launched, if memory is available, Android will think it is likely to be reused and reload it. The more you kill and reload an app, the higher a priority Android will give it until it is cached above more used apps. This is where a lot of phone lag happens because Android not only tries to launch the app you want, but tries to preserve the one you keep killing, so it has to dump other, more used apps to do it.

If you don't use the apps, then they should eventually be dropped from the "running" list entirely and just quietly take up space in the system partition.

Dingo314 likes this.
  6. Buddha64

Buddha64 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 7, 2010
    DB-0855-03 Aviation Electronics Engineer
    Redstone Arsenal, AL
    Strange. They aren't running on my phone at all.