1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Note 2 DOES NOT work with the samsung media smart dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by superdesi, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ta2025

ta2025 Lurker

I have a GN2, Smart Dock and a Vizio 32" 720p TV.

It works, but... the GN2 is chopping the left and right 16 or so pixels from the home screen images. I've the checked every setting on the TV for Wide/Zoom/Normal and nothing will correct this problem. Unfortunately, to me this Smart Dock is worthless unless I can see every pixel!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. you2

you2 Android Expert

If I'm not mistaken it is DRM related. heck I have had blu ray players refuse to play blu rays on my pc with a bad HDMI cable. (rumbles off on the media companies and there freaking drm). Anyways I think the HDMI cable carries certain information with regards to the drm of the media and if the tv gets confused it will take the passive approach of not playing anything but I could be completely mistaken here.

3. you2

you2 Android Expert

Does the TV have an overscan setting ?

4. ta2025

ta2025 Lurker

As I stated, it DOES work. I would imagine if the cable were bad or it was DRM issue then I wouldn't get any picture at all?

Its just chopping off the left and the right side. Its weird, because I would think its should be the opposite? the screen is 1360x720 and the signal should be 1280x720, so I was prepared to have a small black bar on either side. That would be fine, but this is exactly the opposite.

5. pjmiebach

pjmiebach Lurker

Try using another power adapter that outputs 2.0 Amps.

The charger that came with my note 2 smart dock made the dock intermittent as video worked but USB ports did not.
    I switch the power adapter to another 2.0 Amp one that came with my HP TouchPad and now the dock works great!

So I'm exchanging the dock for another to get a proper working charger.

Edit: Although I also get video chopped off at the sides too :(
    Edit 2: Just fixed the video cutting off issue!
    I have a Sony XBR TV and if I go to Home->Screen->Display Area and I set this to "Full Pixel". I Now see everything on the sides and top and bottom!

6. Windza

Windza Lurker

OK... So I registered just to make one suggestion that seems to me bleedingly obvious but as far as I can tell the OP hasn't been given it (only supported)
    OP claimed the HDMI cable "must" be OK because it works with XBOX and TV; BAD ASSUMPTION!
    Not all HDMI cables are created equal, nor HDMI devices and I've proven this numerous times even with high end gear (media projectors, laptops and wireless HDMI).
    Get yourself a decent cable off Amazon (make sure its the latest standard for HDMI - I think it now does Ethernet as well) and rule that out first.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews