• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Video Review of the Droid Shell/Holster Combo

YouTube - Motorola Droid Shell Holster Combo

This is my FIRST ever video of an unboxing / review so please be gentle in the comments. I know it is probably a bit awkward and such but I just made it because I wanted to show everyone how nice of a holser/shell combo it was and how much better than the Body Glove case it was and more protective of your Droid since the screen faces inwards.

Geez, the moment I put the video up, I already have some jerk commenting on how silly and awkward my video was... maybe I should even have bothered?

Anyway, I HOPE you guys can enjoy and find the usefulness in it somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV87y9Si1A

This is my FIRST ever video of an unboxing / review so please be gentle in the comments. I know it is probably a bit awkward and such but I just made it because I wanted to show everyone how nice of a holser/shell combo it was and how much better than the Body Glove case it was and more protective of your Droid since the screen faces inwards.

Fantastic!

I credited you in my thread where I was asking for info about this case. I also posted this under your video and will post it here again:

"GREAT REVIEW Hitman! I have a question about the part that attaches to the screen. Are the left and right edges of it rigid or do they have a lot of play, meaning that they will bend outward away from the screen? I bought the silicone gel case at the VZW store and the part that attaches to the screen is so flexible that it doesn't cover the edges of the phone as well as I would like. I can see the metal underneath because it bows away from the screen, it should be completely covered."

If you could film a short video demonstrating this or possibly some photos it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Shell/Holster Combo on VZW's site

I just called my local store and they had 3 in stock, I'm picking it up in 20 minutes. I am almost 100% sure they didn't have them yesterday. I went into the same store and asked the rep to bring out any Motorola Droid cases he had in stock and this wasn't one he brought out. Seems like they got a shipment late yesterday. In other words it might be worth calling ahead to your preferred store to see if they have it.

Upvote 0
Good review - word of advice - might want to write out a script so it flows a lot better. Don't take this as a negative, but a positive - to help make your future reviews better.

@zim - yes, they will return it - I took my BG case back the 3 days later and got a full refund even without a receipt after I showed them that it does not fit the navigation holder.

Upvote 0
Good review, and thanks for doing it. As a little constructive criticism, I'd suggest making a bullet list of things you want to cover, and then talk around those. Keep focused and to the point. For example the first 1:13 you tell us you're going to review the holster. That takes 10s at most. In fairness, after that you start cruising -- good. Anyway, sincerely, good start, keep making more -- I found this one very useful

Upvote 0
Well, there is a stop button on the YouTube player.

No, he does not have the SenseUI on his phone. It's just a widget.

@HITMAN,

Good job. :)

Well I was hoping he would show whether it worked with the dock or not so I kept watching!

Not trying to be rude, but if he wants to continue making reviews, the comments will help him become better.

And if its a widget... *which one?*

Upvote 0
Does this holster have any kind of magnet set up, like the BB units, that puts the phone to sleep when cradled, and wakes it if when removed?

No magnet set up. Apparently the Droid does NOT even have this function as a magnet just makes it go into NAVIGATION mode.

Good review, and thanks for doing it. As a little constructive criticism, I'd suggest making a bullet list of things you want to cover, and then talk around those. Keep focused and to the point. For example the first 1:13 you tell us you're going to review the holster. That takes 10s at most. In fairness, after that you start cruising -- good. Anyway, sincerely, good start, keep making more -- I found this one very useful

Thank you for your critique and I will follow your advice in future vids! I've actually been doing written reviews for things like anime and video games for over 9 years but video is BRAND NEW for me.

the case has 2 pieces plus a holster. The review was almost 9 minutes long.

This should have been 2 mins max.

Is it just me or does he have Sense UI on his droid? how did he get that>

Sorry Germ, this was my first attempt at a video type review. I'll try to streamline them better in the future.

Well, there is a stop button on the YouTube player.

No, he does not have the SenseUI on his phone. It's just a widget.

@HITMAN,

Good job. :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Well I was hoping he would show whether it worked with the dock or not so I kept watching!

Not trying to be rude, but if he wants to continue making reviews, the comments will help him become better.

And if its a widget... *which one?*

I appreciate your criticism too Germ; it will indeed help me make better review vids later.

As for the Widget in question, I use Weather Widgets WITH the free forcast add-on. The widget it $1.50 and well worth it. There'a also another one called Beautiful Widgets for the same price and it looks and works exactly the same but you can't download skins for it like you can with Weather Widgets.

@HITMAN, Thank you for the review. I was on the fence about this until I saw your review. Shell/holster has been ordered! Good job!

I'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks for posting the review but I must ask WHAT is up with the weapon in your pic? Guns/weapons are not cool I must say.. Are you planning to go out and mow down some squirrels with that weapon or something?

That's kind of disturbing

Where I live, we have undead racoons bud, the M4A1 assault rifle w/ holographic scope is a bare necessity!

Great video Hitman, you cover all the points I needed to know to go buy this thing.

Actually one question, if you leave the screen bezel off, does it still fit tightly into the holster?

If you don't use the screen bezel, it will be VERY loose inside the holster. This holster is meant to be use with the full package or not used at all. Do not worry though, the front screen bezel not only LOOKS nice but also protects the edges of your screen AND the flat screen itself from being bumped, broken, or scratched due to it being raised *slightly* over the screen area thus causing any drops face down to land on the bezel polycarbonate piece and not directly on the screen. And, in my honest opinion, no it does not mess with typing or hinder use of the Droid by ANY means. I actually think it provides better overall tactile feedback whilst holding the Droid and typing.

Upvote 0
how tightly does the phone lock in the holster? Looks like you were sliding it out pretty easy. I've had holsters like this in the past where the phone would come out of the holster too easily and too many times unexpectedly i would see my phone on the ground where it worked its way out the holster somehow on its own.

And most importantly, does the phone fit in the Car mount with the casing around it, or does it have to be removed?

Motorola needs to make a Car mount where the phone can fit in it with the casing on it. I would buy the car mount, media dock, and shell holster combo right now if i dont have to take the casing off the phone ever time i want to dock it in the car mount or media dock

Upvote 0
how tightly does the phone lock in the holster? Looks like you were sliding it out pretty easy. I've had holsters like this in the past where the phone would come out of the holster too easily and too many times unexpectedly i would see my phone on the ground where it worked its way out the holster somehow on its own.

And most importantly, does the phone fit in the Car mount with the casing around it, or does it have to be removed?

Motorola needs to make a Car mount where the phone can fit in it with the casing on it. I would buy the car mount, media dock, and shell holster combo right now if i dont have to take the casing off the phone ever time i want to dock it in the car mount or media dock

It fits nice and snug and takes some outward pulling force to actually dislodge and remove it from the holster. I say its just about right!

As for the car dock; sorry, i don't have one. My RX-8 has a custom in-dash Pioneer Avic HDD/DVD 7-inch touchscreen navi unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones