1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My videos not playing back-corrupted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paular19, May 16, 2011.

1. paular19

paular19 Lurker

I have had my Evo Shift for about 2 months and have had no issues till today. I took two videos using the camcorder feature and both were about 30 seconds long. I played them back a few times about an hour later with no problems. This evening when I tried to show them to my husband they won't play and show in my video screen as a gray box with a white icon in the center instead of the picture. The icon looks to be have a sun in the top right cornor and mountains below them with a ! in a circle in the bottom left. I tried to shutoff/turned back on and it didn't help and I plugged it into my computer and I got an error message that "quicktime couldn't recognize the file", but quicktime played all the other videos I have. Previous videos are fine and I took one after I discovered the problem that is fine as well. Sprint told me at add a security app which says the phone has no viruses and besides that told me to post here;) Has anyone had this problem or know if I can somehow get these videos back? I am also concerned about having this happen again in the future.

htcleevo likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. htcleevo

htcleevo Lurker

Same problem here. Over the past 3 months, i recorded 30 videos in HD, about 30 seconds each video (mostly of my 10 month old son). They all worked perfectly until today, when 10 videos went corrupt (in the video gallery, the thumbnail is a gray box and they wont play). I put them on my PC, and the corrupt files don't have a thumbnail and don'e play.

Any help would be appreciated:
    1) What is causing this issue
    2) Is there any way to prevent in the future
    3) Is there a way to fix my video files that are currently corrupt?

Thanks,
    -Lee

3. mgerity

mgerity Newbie

One video plays back for about 3/4 of its length, and then I get an error saying the video cannot be played. Any subsequent videos won't play at all and get the missing icon described above. As of today, the issue has spread to photos that I took since the first problem with the video as well.

Any fixes?

4. mgerity

mgerity Newbie

With mine, it only occurs when I take long videos, over 20 minutes or so. The first time it happened, I was actually able to play back the first 5 or 10 minutes of the video, and then it would just stop. Same exact thing happens once I move them to a computer, where QuickTime plays them up to the exact same point and then stops.

While I had that one long video saved on my phone, it seemed to cause problems with other videos and pictures too. Once I moved that one off the phone, problems with other pictures and videos (shorter ones) went away.

However, any video that I attempt to take that is over 20 minutes now won't play back at all, showing the exact same symptoms as described above.

Some other notes: I have a 30GB SD card, so space isn't the issue. This all started only after the Android 2.3 upgrade, but then again, I'm not sure I took any long videos before that.

5. edenney

edenney Newbie

My daughter and I were at Disneyland a couple weeks ago and we both shot some videos with our Evo Shifts. FYI I have the Gingerbread update, her phone doesn't. One of the videos we shot with her phone which was perhaps 2 minutes long (it's about 15MB), worked just fine when we watched it immediately afterward, but when she tried to view it again that night or the following day it wouldn't play. When she pulled it off the phone and tried to play it with VLC and other media players, again, no dice. She sent it to me and I was unable to open it with anything, and it's pretty obvious it's corrupted. Somehow the file got corrupt WHILE it was on phone, and in a very short time period as opposed to weeks or months later (which still wouldn't be acceptable). We both have popular virus scanners on our phones, but I'm unaware of any phone viruses anyway that go around corrupting video files.

If anybody has experienced their videos getting corrupted and becoming unplayable, while they're on the phone, please post so we can find out if there's a larger problem.

6. westside

westside Member

Been having the same problem off and on on my moto DX. Don't have a solution but I did discover if you immediately go to Advanced Editing you can still play the video. Unfortunately saving it as HD from advanced editing doesn't fix the problem. However I can successfully save VGA resolution fine.

I've also tried looking at these corrupted video files using ffmpeg. It complains of a missing MOOV atom. Most references to this suggest to use a HEX editor to find the start of the mp4. PITA.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews