• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My wife got Gingerbread

tukatz

Android Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2010
Lakewood, WA
My wife's phone got the OTA update last evening early. After the update her phone showed no data network. I powered off the phone (even removed the battery) and booted it back up and all was fine. GPS was working as well. We left the phone in standby all night and this morning, some fifteen hours later, when I woke it up it showed 90% battery life.

My phone has not received the update yet, even though we have them both on a single account with a family plan. I don't know if the IMEI numbers have anything to do with the sequence of rollout. Her phone starts with 354, while mine starts with 359.

I'm hopeful that the early indications of much improved battery life hold up. Mine will never be as good as hers because mine has BlueTooth turned on and is connected to a Phone Labs Dock 'n Talk while we are at home. It is used to process all our home phone calls - no land line.

i went to the Tmobile store and got my Gingerbread update on Monday evening ...my battery life has improved ~~ in fact, it went to approx. 20% around noon today so I had 40+ hours which is an improvement because before, I could start the day at 100% and be at 20% by 5 pm. During the 40 hour period, I used blue tooth, listened to downloaded music, used wi-fi for three internet searches & GPS (for about an hour). I'm impressed because before, using GPS was a battery killer.

Reactions: tukatz
Upvote 0
I decided to take my 4G in and have the update done. I used my wife's 4G to take photos of my app launcher screens so I could see what I had to reinstall, since all the downloaded apps disappear. The nice folks in the store did the update and even noticed that I still had a 2G SIM. They replaced it with a new SIM and sent me on my way.

I got all my apps reinstalled and the only problem I had was that the process leaves a voice mail indicator turned on. It turns out that you have to have a voice mail message left for that phone, then go in and delete it and get the no more messages bit. Then the indicator goes away.

So I'm back in business with Gingerbread and, hopefully, with much better battery life. As much as I've used my wife's phone to help in this process (using the camera and gallery, and calling T-Mobile support, etc.), she still has 51% after 26 hours and 45 minutes. I may still install JuiceDefender, but I'll keep an eye on it for a while first.

Upvote 0
Battery life update. I have installed Juice Defender and am running it in Aggressive mode. My phone has BlueTooth turned on and is connected to a Phone Labs Dock 'n Talk. It has been off the charger for 24 hours and 11 minutes and has 48% battery left. It has processed 28 minutes of calls which have used 31% of the battery. The display has been on for 30 minutes and has taken 20% of the battery. Standby has consumed 17%, while the Android System and Phone Idle have each taken 15%. BlueTooth accounts for the remaining 2%. This is WAY better than before Gingerbread. :D

Another update: I just plugged the phone back into the charger with 11% battery life remaining after 42 hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones