• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Wife's Droid has LOST IT"S MIND!

A very strange thing happened this morining. My Wife had powered down her stock Droid without putting it on the charger since it was already fully charged, this is NOT her normal thing, usually she just shuts off the ringer and puts it on the charger.
Well this morning she powers it up, and the thing has lost it's mind. It asked her to sign in to her Google account as if it was a new phone, another app also asked her to sign in. All her home screen settings are gone back to stock, and it's also asking which launcher to use Helix or standard. I could have sworn I removed helix launcher a while back.
Also her GMAIL seems to be back to an older version, before they changed to THE SEND button and Reply buttons to the top.
Also it seems to not remember settings in Beautiful Widgets, if I change the clock skin and then reboot the phone its back to stock skin.
And I am getting force close on some app called My Yearbook.
I can't compare to mine, cause I am rooted and running LFY 1.9 Here is what is says in the about phone area.

VERSION
Baseband
C_01.43.01P
Kernel
2.6.32.9-g68eeef5 android-build@apa26#1
Build Number
FRG83D

What the hell happened???? anybody got an idea? I mean its not a really big deal, I may just root hers, and load a custom ROM, but I would like to know WHY this happened??
Thanks.
Ken

When was the last time it was powered off? Sounds like it may have tried to revert for some odd reason to previous versions of apps, or else that it just forgot its settings.

Take a look and see if there are any market updates.

You may try a battery pull to see if it can remember all of its settings, but if she had the Synchronize settings option checked when she last signed in, it should restore everything anyway, so there should be no harm done.

She may have to re-load her widgets, but other than that she should be good.

Upvote 0
She says the phone had not been acutally powered down for at least a few months. She re-signed into Google, cause she had to. I checked and Auto Synch was checked, but nothing came back automatically. I did do a battery pull at some point cause the phone froze up.
It is STILL forgeting stuff, as I said, Beaut Widgets does not remeber the skins, and now it FC's when you try to apply one.
The market does not show any updates for the apps, and I KNOW there is one for GMAIL.
It's almost like the phone reverted to a previous android version, so the apps reverted, and the market thinks all is well and current.
I am leaning towards rooting and loading LFY 1.9 on it, so we have the same things.
ARG#%&.. there are days I wish I had an ipho... NO NO NO NO.. Then I would have to wear a tin foil hat to prevent Steve from controlling my thoughts. :)

Upvote 0
lmfao.

Hmmm, I wonder if her SDCard has gone stupid? But that shouldn't affect everything that you're experiencing, only some of it...

You could always try to restore an older stock image using an SBF and then let VZW push the OTA down again - seems like it may not have taken.

The lat update that got pushed out to phones (The original FroYo) was located in a very weird location, I actually found it when it was pushed to my phone and I went searching, and contact Peter Alfonso to have him verify it was indeed the right one. it was on the SDCard, so you might be able to get into recovery and force the update manually - but that would require being rooted so you could push an alternate recovery onto the phone...

Upvote 0
A very strange thing happened this morining. My Wife had powered down her stock Droid without putting it on the charger since it was already fully charged, this is NOT her normal thing, usually she just shuts off the ringer and puts it on the charger.
Well this morning she powers it up, and the thing has lost it's mind. It asked her to sign in to her Google account as if it was a new phone, another app also asked her to sign in. All her home screen settings are gone back to stock, and it's also asking which launcher to use Helix or standard. I could have sworn I removed helix launcher a while back.
Also her GMAIL seems to be back to an older version, before they changed to THE SEND button and Reply buttons to the top.
Also it seems to not remember settings in Beautiful Widgets, if I change the clock skin and then reboot the phone its back to stock skin.
And I am getting force close on some app called My Yearbook.
I can't compare to mine, cause I am rooted and running LFY 1.9 Here is what is says in the about phone area.

VERSION
Baseband
C_01.43.01P
Kernel
2.6.32.9-g68eeef5 android-build@apa26#1
Build Number
FRG83D

What the hell happened???? anybody got an idea? I mean its not a really big deal, I may just root hers, and load a custom ROM, but I would like to know WHY this happened??
Thanks.
Ken

I'd start by going to my gmail account, using my computer, and make sure all syncing data remains as it should.

If not, that is where the problem lies, not with the device. Sometimes it is Google/gmail which "loses its mind." ;)

If things look ok there, go into accounts and sync on the device and force a sync to see if that remedies the issues.

If things are out of whack, with data missing, etc, you know that something happened in there, a hack/intrusion/glitch, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones