• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my wondermedia wm8650..drop kicking under a moving bus seems like a good idea

~ARGH~ that is all i can say right now :mad:. First i can tell you that i believe i have the WonderMedia WM8650 as going to settings>about device says under "model number: Wondermedia WM8650" the build is generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.0-20110613.173458 but other then that i cannot tell you if it is 3G, 7", 8" or 9" screen. The box that it came in is not much help, neither is the instruction manual. I have heard that this is supposed to have a 800Mhz processor and about 512mb ram. What i got i can assure you is no were near the 800Mhz band, and a read out on the device says i have 256mb ram with what is supposed to be 2gig internal (about 700mb free). I am assuming that is more for program space then it is for storage at this point. I have tried to flash the rom on it with what was posted here:
http://androidforums.com/wondermedia-wm8650/320788-wondermedia-wm8650.html
Following first comment #20, which got the "UberDroid" boot screen. After 24hrs it was still there. However wanting to be brave i then downloaded the rom as in reply #17. This one worked....kinda...it would seem that the screen was split in half, and trying to do any gestures on it was not possible. Following the same thread and still not fearing i downloaded what i thought was the firmware for it...again i got the half screen deal. Next morning i went back to the dealer in town here and exchanged it.
What i find odd is this model does have the app for 3G, ADSL, and Ethernet, but does not come with the u-disk (this is my second one, and still nothing in the box).
The Usb cord i got that fit this droid was the same type for the iphone/ipod :thinking:
what i have found since using it:
~Wifi is good ONLY if you are sitting practically on top of a router, with a rooted Motorola xt300 (spice) phone, and Barnicle (ad-hoc) my tablet cannot find nor wants to look for my cell phone for a wifi connection, and when it does i get a quick message that says "ad-hoc not allowed"
~Following some web pages, i have seen (not sure on this) that if the tabet is rooted i would have under settings>applications a option called app2sd. Well i have said app but no SU app, and when i try to add one, it freezes the whole tablet
~with screen set to dim, turn off after 1min, not using wifi, maybe reading a book or *trying* to edit a document, the battery gets a whopping 30min
~the tabet *DOES* come with google chrome though it is called "my browser" which i can back up and reinstall on other android devices if i so choose (good to know)
~sound out of the built in speakers is so weak that even in a utterly quiet room you cannot hear a thing
~there is this really ugly and crappy lock screen going on, no way on changing it.

So i am thinking of just chucking this under a moving bus and sucking up the fact i was a dunce and paid $160 (taxes in) for this tablet, but before i do i thought i would turn to the community to ask a few things (sorry for this being a long read): but seeing as i am not willing to flash the rom (EVER), am i in the right way of thinking that android mobile apps will work on the tablet? Can i change the launcher program (to say Launcher pro?), i have a screen protector on it right now, but i am seriously thinking on removing it (due to lack of finger touch response, stylus is fine, finger no), is there some way i can add/patch the no ad-hoc support? (which i tried to access WAP through Barnicle my phone said it was missing a ton of programs to allow it).....Overall i am starting to think that my adventure into the android world is not for the best and maybe just dropping it all and going back to :eek: apple products?
any help/ideas/thoughts would be great

:thinking: Contacted the company this morning and after epic fails again and again with trying to log onto my router then going to a hotspot, they said i could exchange it for a 7" model called a updad, where i was told the wifi was alot stronger. I have a feeling personally, someone had fooled with the programming, as the model i am bringing back (AGAIN) had a loose casing that i snapped back into place.
:mad: Not sure why mine was doing that kind of weird stuff when everyone esle's was working fine......though if anyone is interested on the new one i am getting i will make sure to write a review in my blog and add the link here. For those that read this, thanks for the read, and thinking of ways to help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones