• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Xperia X10i is unable to update.

AdY

Jan 7, 2011
India
Hi guys,

Recently i tried to update my phone from android 1.6 to 2.1 via PC companion. After finding the update it says that PC companion was unable to get the PC or the software ready for update and thus exiting the program.

I run a laptop which has 1 GB ram, Pentium 4 and Windows xp SP2.

when i searched for some solutions online, some guy told me to use sony software updater which directly installs the update into your phone via the INTERNET and it dosent require the PC companion i guess. i tried that but it shows an error too :mad:

I need help regarding this matter!!!!

would this be true for the process of flashing the custom roms?
Depends. Take the prerooted rom, you need to use the flash tool for the baseband, so you'll need the flash drivers installed to run it.
Could you expand on what the actual issue is with XP and the need to use safe mode?
Not really, I just know those with XP have to run in safemode for the flash drivers to be installed.

Upvote 0
Huh?

I had no problems gaining root access after updating to 2.1 with SEUS.
when did you update?
if you had just updated today you would be on the latest release which is unrootable currently.

and AdY check out hells thread, i used to update my friends 1.6 to 2.1 a few hours ago and then rooted it and installed xrecovery and x10iusers rom, worked very well with no issues.
also if you want to try Z4root first i have attached it, just install it from your sdcard, you may be lucky.

Attachments

• z4root.1.3.0.apk
    955.5 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
when did you update?
if you had just updated today you would be on the latest release which is unrootable currently.

and AdY check out hells thread, i used to update my friends 1.6 to 2.1 a few hours ago and then rooted it and installed xrecovery and x10iusers rom, worked very well with no issues.
also if you want to try Z4root first i have attached it, just install it from your sdcard, you may be lucky.

Well I am shit scared to go the long way. I had very bad experiences regarding updating phones. My Nokia e90 and Nokia e75 got bricked when I tried to update them. I fear to get my xperia getting bricked if some thing wrong happens via rooting the way he'll mentions.

Upvote 0
you put z4 on your sd card then you need a file explorer to access it, astro is a good one you can get astro file explorer from the market,
open astro and find the folder you put in z4 then install it.
run z4, click permamant root
(temporary only roots til you reboot)
it will take a while looking busy then it should reboot your phone, it can take a few minutes so dont get impatient.
once your phone reboots go back in and hopefully it should tell you you are rooted.
also if this works, download busybox from the market and install
if you are not rooted it wont install.

z4 is here:
apk.gif
z4root.1.3.0.apk (955.5 KB, 0 views)

also if you have to go the long way, i'm not gonna lie to you, it is intimidating, i am new to this myself but if you follow the guides properly its a pain-free experience and you'll be happy you tried it.

Upvote 0
you put z4 on your sd card then you need a file explorer to access it, astro is a good one you can get astro file explorer from the market,
open astro and find the folder you put in z4 then install it.
run z4, click permamant root
(temporary only roots til you reboot)
it will take a while looking busy then it should reboot your phone, it can take a few minutes so dont get impatient.
once your phone reboots go back in and hopefully it should tell you you are rooted.
also if this works, download busybox from the market and install
if you are not rooted it wont install.

If the rooting fails then it won't harm my phone right?

Upvote 0
It isn't downloading
what do you mean, isnt downloading?
the z4?
if so try one of this link:
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

i also just read this:
Work but in order to root my device have to be in "USB debugging"

so might be worth making sure your is in debugging mode
this is done by:
Settings > Application Settings > Development > tick the usb debugging option

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones