• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MyBackup Root released for FREE on the Android Market

rogcontact

Apr 27, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I am the product manager of the MyBackup product line at RerWare, LLC.

To let you guys know, we have just released "MyBackup Root", which is a FREE download from the Android Market. It is for root phones only, and it will BATCH BACKUP AND RESTORE all applications, including the Data\Settings and Market Links! You are also allowed to schedule backups. All FREE.

We want to support the Root community, so we have made this a Free application, please help us spread the word!

Try it out, we would also love feedback at support@rerware.com

I purchased MyBackup last week for my unrooted phone, and it's the first app I've paid for. I'm pleased with the app and glad to see developers being generous to users. :)

Here's a thought, if Rerware can create apps that root specific phone models and charge them at nominal prices, I'll be the first to bite!

Reactions: timbuk2
Upvote 0
Sounds good.

Question for the dev and for users here:

Will this replace the need for Titanium Donate version?

If we backup everything, can we selectively restore, like in Titanium?

Will download shortly and test out.

Yes you can selectively restore.
I haven't seen the need for TI, I came across this app first and has met all of my needs, surprised it's not metioned as much.

Upvote 0
Yes you can selectively restore.
I haven't seen the need for TI, I came across this app first and has met all of my needs, surprised it's not metioned as much.

It's not mentioned as much because it (root version) just came out and until now didn't have the same purpose as Titanium. Titanium is probably the most important app to me so I'm intrigued on how this one performs in comparison.

Does this have 0-click batch restore?

Upvote 0
Yes, this will restore all backed up applications, data\settings of the applications, and the market links in batch.

lexluthor:
- This should preform all the needed work to backup\restore all apps+data+market link, as well as all Android specific data, such as SMS\MMS, alarms, dictionary, etc. etc. Also, these items are support ACROSS Android ROMS!

- It gives you selective ability to backup what you want, and restore what you want. Yes!

- We hope that the root community will like this! If you want to support us, purchase the Pro version, or leave a 5 star review for the Root one if you like it!

Upvote 0
Well, at a free price tag, if it does what titanium does, it'll get a lot of mentions.

TiBu does more than just backups, it'll also freeze apps top keep Tim from running in the background, enables users to delete crapware that's otherwise untouchable, and can also BREAK market links. This isn't to take away from what these guys are dong (competition is a good thing here as TiBu largely rules the roost), but TiBu does bring a lot of features to the table.

Upvote 0
And many people depend upon the other features I listed. Again, it's GOOD to see what you're doing, but there's more to discuss when comparing backup apps with TiBu. For example, does this app put the backups in Dropbox automatically? If anything, it's those other features missing from here, that TiBu has, that should push you to continue to improve his product to the benefit of us all. I'm glad that you guys are addressing a need, for free no less, and also taking on an app that's wildly popular (from what I can tell).

(Edited for grammar)

Upvote 0
I just installed it as well, so I'm going give it a shot and see how it goes. I hope I didn't burn a bridge with you, but if you're open to any feedback, I'd recommend making the link to the privacy policy as hyperlink so a user could click on it directly from the EULA and let the browser pop open to it.

Upvote 0
I did my first backup this morning (automated), and it worked like clockwork. :) Given that TiBu's free version only allows you to keep one backup and continuously overwrites it, this is a serious point for your app as it appeared that I could dictate the number of backups to keep. Do you have any plans in the future to allow users to restore single apps, or is that already there as well and I just missed it?

Upvote 0
Does it backup my apps with their apks, or do I need to have it installed to use my backed up apps?
And does it backup my contacts? Just the ones on the phone. I tried one app today, it backed up 700 contacts. But I have 300 contacts on my phone. The other 400 are from facebook etc. I just want to back up those in my phone.

Does this app provide these? Actually, it would be great to have my apps' apks.

Upvote 0
The licence at the start says this app will work with two devices per licence. How is that tracked? If I factory reset the phone and flash new firmware, will that be detected as a 'new' phone? I know that was the case with some of the Swype installers, which would expire if you switched ROMs too often.

(It's probably a bit of a silly question, considering that this is designed for rooted users, but I thought I'd ask anyway).

Upvote 0
Xyro: Good questions, the license was really meant for the Pro version, since this is a Free app, you can disregard that part of it, flashing another ROM will allow you to still use the app!

beer-in-box: This will be able to restore the apps and data in them, without the need for it to always be installed on the phone. Also, it can backup contacts, but it will backup ALL contacts (including facebook ones) and restore them to the main Gmail account on the phone.

This will allow you to change Gmail account by backing up contacts from one, and restoring on another. Even from 1 ROM to another. Including going from a Android 1.x to 2.x!!!

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
This is great. Seems to easily do everything I do in Titanium, except freezing apps.

I have a couple of questions about saving/restoring system data.

Titanium has a weakness (at least on my Droid X) that if you restore system data, the sync icon comes on and never goes away. So, I just restor non-system apps and data and then re-do my system settings. I think BT and Wifi settings can be restored individually, but you do have to be careful about what system data to restore.

Does MyBackup Root have any issue with restoring all system data like that? The biggest annoyance with not restoring system data in Titanium is rebuilding my home screens. That's a big PITA. Does MyBackup Root restore all of my home screen shortcuts and widgets without any issue? Across ROMs? Across Android versions (minor updates like the Droid X 2.2.1 and more major updates from 2.1 to 2.2)?

If it does that well, I think it's huge. I recently had to factory reset my Droid X and my Samsung Vibrant. Even with Titanium restoring all apps and app data, it took a bit of time to restore all of my other settings. It takes a while to remember all of the system settings that I had changed. Things like contact ringtones I had to re-do.

Will MyBackup Root restore all of that without causing problems?

Very nice of you to release this free. Hopefully, it remains free with the current features, which appear to suffice for me, and hopefully you have enough pro features that other people want so you can make some money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones