• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MyBackup Root released for FREE on the Android Market

The applications apk+data+market links are completely supported and work as they should. The system data can be done the same way as TI, which is to backup the actual database and restore it, but this will not work across different ROMS. It, preferably, can also be done using, what is called in MyBackup, a Data backup. This will allow you to transfer it to another ROM, even from 1.x to 2.x and VV. Note, that not 100% of system settings can be done this way. This will also allow you to restore to all platforms MyBackup Pro supports, which currently is Android, and BlackBerry, WinMo and Symbian will be out within a month.
To answer your question about the Home Screens, they are supported, and even across different ROMs and version! Although, some widgets will need to be placed back manually, all icons shortcuts and screens will restore!

Please have a look at the FAQ and End User document on our website RerWare Android&#8482 Products: MyBackup Pro (backup Android, Nexus One, Motorola Droid, G1, Hero, MyTouch, etc...), MyBookmarks
Here is the End User document:
https://www.rerware.com/Android/MyBackupUserGuide.pdf

Upvote 0
I'll take a look at those pages, thanks.

I'm a bit confused about what happened last night though. I have my backup set for 3am on Sunday. Seems like this free version is hardcoded to Sunday schedule, right?

Anyhow, at some point in the night, I received a system notification that the mybackup root scheduled backup was complete.

I looked in the schedule settings and there was no indication a backup was done. I also looked at the file structure and everything there was from my previous manual backup.

Why exactly did I get that notification?

Edit: I don't think I saw this in the documentation, but does it backup contact specific ringtone settings? If so, is that backed up with system data or do I have to include contacts (which I haven't been including)?

Upvote 0
If you select Data items (contacts, sms, mms, etc.) for the schedule, along with "All apps" or "All Photos", then you will get 2 backup files, one in the Applicaitons->Backup named "Schedule", and another for the Data (not apps data, but sys data like contacts, etc.) named SCHED_date.

Ringtone setup is with the contact.

Upvote 0
This needs a progress bar in the status bar like TiBu has. I notice backups stop if the app goes in the background or I turn of the screen. If I leave the app in the foreground and don't turn off the screen, it works.

I have had pro for a while and it has not had any updates for a long time. Are there any plans to release further updates?

Upvote 0
beer-in-box: This will be able to restore the apps and data in them, without the need for it to always be installed on the phone. Also, it can backup contacts, but it will backup ALL contacts (including facebook ones) and restore them to the main Gmail account on the phone.

This will allow you to change Gmail account by backing up contacts from one, and restoring on another. Even from 1 ROM to another. Including going from a Android 1.x to 2.x!!!

With this sentence, "This will be able to restore the apps and data in them, without the need for it to always be installed on the phone." do you mean that it restores the apk files? Actually I want them to be backed up. No particular reason, just it seems more 'trustworthy'.

And about the contacts, is it impossible to add some options to choose which to back up(I mean all with phone numbers, and none with e-mails or facebook accounts), or is it too hard for a free app? Not judging, just asking.

I am glad that you have a free version of that.

Upvote 0
Anyhow, at some point in the night, I received a system notification that the mybackup root scheduled backup was complete.

I looked in the schedule settings and there was no indication a backup was done. I also looked at the file structure and everything there was from my previous manual backup.

Why exactly did I get that notification?
Still have this question/issue. I'm set up to do Sunday backups at 3:00am.

The last 2 nights, I received a notification at 3am telling me the backup was complete. There are no new files nor any in-app indication a backup was done.

What's going on?

Upvote 0
Last time I looked into MyBackup you couldn't change the destination backup path. This is an issue for Galaxy S users who might want to back up to their external SD card in sdcard/sd/ and just just back up to the top level of sdcard/.

Has that been addressed yet? I'm a big TB fan but it doesn't seem to like to do batch restores on my phone without rebooting. :(

Upvote 0
The backup of applications is incremental and will be in the backup that is named "Schedule "
Were you responding to me? If so, I'm still confused. I have a WEEKLY backup set for Sunday at 3am.

Each night, it seems, at 3am, I get a notification that the backup has completed. There appear to have been no new backup files created when I get this notification.

Upvote 0
@reinbeau: Use the contact us page at RerWare, LLC: Contact us the support team should reply within 1 day

@lexluthor: The notification for a success scheduled backup was just added this release, it is possible that it is coming up every night, and we will look into this!

@sremick: Our application is smart enough to know that the Galaxy S phone's destination is "sdcard\sd"!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones