1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

MyPhoneExplorer or CompanionLink for Outlook sync

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by madelinedroid, Jul 16, 2013.

1. madelinedroid

madelinedroid Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Companion Link and MPE have gone through a lot of growing pains in the last year or two. At this point, with a new Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon, I'm wondering which to keep.

I want to sync Outlook 2010 and Samsung S4. I sync only the calender and tasks and now have both apps working but not sure which will be more reliable.

I've used My Phone Explorer on my Droid Charge but had trouble with the Samsung S4. Got instructions from the developer on how to fix the problem and it seems to be working at the moment. However, I always found MPE a bit tedious in that the instructions are translated and not always clear. It also uses wifi, which is fine, but it takes time because I like to keep a 3+ year calendar on my phone. PC text is also tiny and hard to read when accepting or rejecting a change.

During the time I couldn't get MPE to work, I set up a trial of Companion Link using the cloud. It was done so fast that I thought it didn't sync the data - but it did. And, if I leave it on Push, I won't have to sync, data will be pushed automatically. This is very appealing but push takes battery and memory so I'll probably do it manually anyway. Wondering if anyone knows how much phone memory the Push actually takes - it's so appealing.

But my major concerns are reliability and data integrity. I am also concerned re space and memory use on the phone The price is not a major issue for me and I already donated to MPE and got more than my money's worth while using it on the Charge. But the speed and ease of the cloud are appealing.

Would appreciate knowing about your recent experiences and how others sync. with Outlook. Thanks

Advertisement

2. Clcto

Clcto Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Push Sync uses power on the server, but not the phone. It pushes the data when there is a change. Nothing happens when there is no change.

This is a vast improvement over polling sync where the phone must open a connection and contact the server every 5 or 10 minutes. With push sync, changes are instant and far less power is used.

madelinedroid likes this.
  3. madelinedroid

madelinedroid Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Oh - that makes a big difference! And now I have a real understanding of what "push" actually is. Thanks a lot.