1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mysterious Status Icon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fitterman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. fitterman

fitterman Lurker

My S3 had this weird signal-strength indicator for about an hour yesterday (and bad data service, too, as you can see). It's like a Roaming indicator but where the "R" should be there's a little house with 2 arcs above it.

[​IMG]

Any ideas what this means? Verizon and Samsung are clueless.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Hmm ive never seen that before :thinking::thinking:
    Either samsung or verizon put it there though so one of them should really know lol

3. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

fitterman and funkylogik like this.
  4. funkylogik

What does E911 mean mate? Emergency Calls Only or something?

5. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

Yeah...................here in the States (lol) we have an emergency network that uses a number to call it.......... "911"

funkylogik likes this.
  6. funkylogik

Cool lol i knew 911 so the E was an educated guess :D
    Its same here, if the phone cant get a signal on your network, even if there isnt a sim in the phone, it will lock on to any network available and allow emergency calls :)

7. fitterman

fitterman Lurker

Thanks for the explanation. I can't access the image you cited or search for a thread on that topic. If you can post a link to that thread or image that's accessible, I'd be most appreciative.

8. funkylogik

Im guessing it means you have a terrible signal or the SIM is faulty. Test the sim in another phone if you can :thumbup:

9. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

funkylogik likes this.
  10. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

the e911 symbol is the 'crosshairs' symbol to the left. i think the little house icon must be some update to TouchWiz's signal strength indicator, probably means you are in your 'home' area. aka not roaming. could also mean hotspot mode is active (your phone is acting as a wifi hotspot--enabled if you have a shared data plan). i wish i could help further but i rooted and blew all that away long time ago. EDIT: it is confirmed it's a network extender icon. not sure if it shows up in vanilla android but that is what i found online about it: house icon above signal

javamann and funkylogik like this.
  11. funkylogik

Ahhh. Whats a network extender mate? like a signal repeater?

12. Erm10

Erm10 Newbie

I have a different icon that is suddenly there all the time - it's looks like some kind of funky 'N' in a box, in between my alarm and eyeball icon. It's always there. The only thing that I can think of is that I recently had a message pop up to update Samsung Security (which I did).

Anyone seen the same, or know what it is?

13. Erm10

Erm10 Newbie

Nevermind. It was the NFC indicator. I have always had this set to off and somehow it got turned on.

funkylogik likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews