• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mystery Notification pop up

Jen Lee

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
I have been getting this strange pop up image, white background and blue outlines of speech bubbles and a person standing in front of them with their back to us, with a message below saying "once you start a new conversation, you'll see it listed here". This image is on my screen for half a second then disappears. Sometimes I won't see it for a day or two, sometimes it pops up 3 times in 1 day. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and not sure what the image is from. When I go to open Google Messages it will randomly pop up. It is not an ad or a link but some kind of notification. Not sure if it's some 3rd party app or hack???

In the screen shot it shows the "start chat" in the bottom corner because I was in the process of opening Google Messages. Has anyone ever seen this before??? It's been 3 weeks and I can't figure it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 150
No, I've not see that but I don't use Google Messages. But my thought on seeing the image, even before reading the rest of the post, is that that looks like Google Messages is responsible. The text "once you start a new conversation you'll see it listed here" is a phrase you see in Google Messages though (on the "conversations" list).

Bug is more likely than hack, but I can't say what is causing it. It looks like some sort of intro screen, the sort of thing you'd see if you started the app up on a phone with no messages stored, so maybe its connection to your message database is glitchy for some reason? Just speculating - I'm not going to make Messages my default and then delete all of my messages to see whether I get the same image! ;)

Upvote 0
No, I've not see that but I don't use Google Messages. But my thought on seeing the image, even before reading the rest of the post, is that that looks like Google Messages is responsible. The text "once you start a new conversation you'll see it listed here" is a phrase you see in Google Messages though (on the "conversations" list).

Bug is more likely than hack, but I can't say what is causing it. It looks like some sort of intro screen, the sort of thing you'd see if you started the app up on a phone with no messages stored, so maybe its connection to your message database is glitchy for some reason? Just speculating - I'm not going to make Messages my default and then delete all of my messages to see whether I get the same image! ;)

Thanks for your feedback...maybe I'll try posing on a Google help page and see what they say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones