• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mystery Screenshots

SNeitzel

Android Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2010
I have noticed an oddity since updating to JB.
I have a folder on the internal SD card under bug2go\screenshots that appears to populate itself with various screenshots that I have not taken. Usually, just ones of the lock screen but occasionally of other things. This is not the folder that normal screenshots are saved to. I have deleted the folder and everything in it but it keeps popping back up. The other thing is the date stamps on the pics do not correspond to times when I have taken screenshots.

I am curious of anyone else is seeing this?

I have noticed an oddity since updating to JB.
I have a folder on the internal SD card under bug2go\screenshots that appears to populate itself with various screenshots that I have not taken. Usually, just ones of the lock screen but occasionally of other things. This is not the folder that normal screenshots are saved to. I have deleted the folder and everything in it but it keeps popping back up. The other thing is the date stamps on the pics do not correspond to times when I have taken screenshots.

I am curious of anyone else is seeing this?

Well it's an old Motorola tracking/spying program. There are posts about it going back to 2011. It can be removed for good by rooting, but I think it's there to stay if running stock.

It's on Moto ICS devices, too. Here's an old thread about it:

http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...s-you-sending-more-than-you-thought-moto.html

Upvote 0
I was reading in a different thread that someone had suggested to press volume up and power to do a screenshot, instead of with volume down. I tried it out to see what happens and it seemed to just change the ringtone volume. Then I read this thread and checked out the folder on my phone and found the screenshot right there. Tried it again, and the screen shot I took with volume up and power again was also there. Just throwing out some of my observations, not sure what it means.

Upvote 0
I believe KidFlash means the bug2go\screenshots folder Thom.
I purposefully got a new screenshot in that folder using POWER + VOLUME UP.
There was no indication that a screen shot was taken at all. No screen change, not sound, no notification.

So does anyone know what name the bug2go script in JB, where it lives and if it's ok to rename/disable it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones