• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mystery Solved - Message Character Length!!

DaveSyd

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2011
Folks,
For the life of me I could not work out why the character counter on the standard messaging app was starting at 70 characters instead of the 160 I thought I was allowed - now I have figured it out!

I am an Aussie and my wife is Thai so I have asian language on my Optus SGS2. I have TSwipe Pro keyboard (excellent app BTW) which apparently access Unicode fonts already on the phone which include the Thai language set. In order to send some Asian and other characters the Unicode set needs to be used instead of the old GSM set.

In Message, Setting there is an option "Input Mode". If you use GSM alphabet it counts down as 160 standard SMS as you type. If you choose Unicode which I had it set to for sending Asian language it only allows a 70 character message as the standard allowed!!

But wait there's more!! - "I don't use Asian language" I here you saying, well some symbols in english are also not part of standard GSM characters such as;

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones