1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mystery Sync

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AllThatCaz, Feb 9, 2011.

1. AllThatCaz

AllThatCaz Newbie

I'm frequently seeing the sync icon in the notification window, but have no idea what is synchronizing. Is there a feature or an app which will identify what app(s) / Android functions are doing synchronizations so I can hunt them down and adjust settings or remove?

Epic 4G user here, on unauthorized DK28 version, not rooted.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. menu-settings-accounts and sync. that will tell you everything thats syncing.

3. AllThatCaz

AllThatCaz Newbie

Well, that's just for formal "accounts". I know of apps that don't register as accounts. Plus, I want to see sync history so I can determine the frequency of any given app (not just the last one, which will show for registered accounts).

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert

Well, you could always use something like TrafficInfo to see which apps are transferring data.

PS. How did I end up with a post time several minutes BEFORE the previous post? Interesting...

5. AllThatCaz

AllThatCaz Newbie

Well, it's a clever little app, but it doesn't put the date/time on any of its stats, so for all I know the traffic is days or weeks old, or when I last used an app.

6. The only apps that actually show the "sync icon" at the top of the phone are the accounts listed here. Other apps that sync wont use the sync icon. So if you are seeing that icon, its from one of the apps listed there. As others have pointed out, if you want to see whats using your data, you can use apps like Spare Parts.

7. AllThatCaz

AllThatCaz Newbie

OK, so that's good to know--only the registered accounts will use the sync icon. Thanks!

8. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert

You just reset the counters if you want to start a fresh log. However, looks like you already have a handle on the situation. :)