• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MyTouch 4g or G2

Dalinkwent

Lurker
Feb 4, 2011
New to the forums. Probably will be here a lot now. I know specs wise the MyTouch 4G is better. I know the mytouch uses the sense UI and g2 uses vanilla 2.2 which I guess is personal preference. If you have any comments on the software, I'd like to hear those as well. But my real question is, Does rooting the G2 give it any advantage over a root'd MyTouch? I know i can get up to 1.42 out of the G2 and 1.7 out of the MyTouch. Is there any reason at all to purchase the G2 over the Mytouch 4g? So far i'm seeing none... What am I missing?

What if I dont like the sense UI on the mytouch? Can I put vanilla 2.2 on it?

I Read I can get 1.7 out of the G2 as well.

Major differences from what I can gather is...

Mytouch - 3.8inch screen(+), regular lcd(-), FFC(+), Sense UI(?), 768RAM(+)
G2 - 3.7inch screen(-), Super LCD(+), No FFC(-), Vanilla 2.2(+), 512RAM(-)

Both have same processor and a lot of the things the G2 didn't support when they were originally released, the G2 now supports (All App related stuff). If I can change the OS to Vanilla on the Mytouch without losing any features I don't see why people even argue the G2 as being better.

Upvote 0
You can also find the Gingerbread shell in the Android Market, uploaded by XDA members. You can also find the Gingerbread keyboard ripped off from the Nexus S uploaded to the Android Market. You can use that on different phones.

I believe they can work on the MyTouch 4G if one doesn't like the HTC Sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones