1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

*&((^%%n Rooting!!!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zuben el genub, May 6, 2012.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I was trying to get TB working - wound up rooting the phone again! Cyanogen 7.1.01?

All day hassle!

Got the damn thing rooted, but couldn't get any files off the sd card/ internal storage. Messed with it all day, finally wound up installing CM 7.1.01 and got most stuff back.

I had been upgraded to ICS, is there a rom that would work? The phone now says 2.3.7 or something close.

I usually have problems that don't occur anywhere else. If I plugged in USB, I had all the android stuff under Android. Wouldn't find the driver with phone usb disconnected. Had to update the driver under Android and the place halfway down device manager that had the warning sign.

I finally got TB backup working and it reinstalled all the stuff from the sd card. Now what does CM get me? Where is a tutorial IN ENGLISH, not geek or video that I can read? I also seem to have aquired PDA net. Need info on that.

Any answers? Please don't move to Nexus S - no one has been responding to root questions.
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Features | CyanogenMod
    Thats about it as far as features are concerned in text .
    Everything else may vary phone to phone

PDANet is a Tethering utility as far as I know .

3. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I read what you suggested. Not very informative. Just all the fancy stuff like gestures.
    I followed directions in a wiki just to get the internal card back. All my apps were there. The apps install to the card by themselves. Sky Safari has over 10,000 files!

At least I have everything close to normal. I miss some stuff from ICS like extras for the camera an a few other settings. I'm worried that upgrades for these apps will get geared to ICS.

I think the original rom.got wiped by trying to get the phone to even SEE.the internal card.

Need help on figuring out what to do.

4. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    umm,Flash Stock ICS ?

This is the List of Factory Stock ICS ROMs
    Nexus S Firmware | Random Phantasmagoria

You can use update.zips or Fastboot to flash it .

What's your phone model no. ?
    What recovery do you have ?
    Have you unlocked the bootloader ?

5. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Phone is the 1920T Nexus S, not the 4g. Think it is CWM recovery. It was on the same page in the wiki. Yes, the bootloader is unlocked - that was the easy part.
    The phone never was bricked, it just wouldn't see the card. Period. I couldn't recover the contacts file from the card. I had backed the card up before rooting the phone.
    I could still use the phone as contacts were on SIM.

I was following instructions - I had asked as there were files in device manager for Android. At the same time - there was also an unknown Android device. So 2 listings at the same time. I had to update the driver on both, not just the unknown one. No article I've seen had that situation. (XP) After updating both instances of Android, then flashing CM, the phone found the card and my apps.

I also have an Acer Tablet. I backed that up before its upgrade. The tablet had 2 drives listed. One was the main, and the other the built-in SD card. Could that be why I showed 2 different devices in device manager? One the device and the other the card? Never have seen the main drive show up in Yes, Master.

No one was researching or updating the method for root that didn't need to unlock the bootloader. At least, never got an answer anywhere.

It's strange, I searched for a fix to get the phone to see the card, and found quite a few questions about that - not too many were answered.

I'll read what you posted. Thanks

6. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Rather informative. I'd rather keep the phone rooted. I prefer Titanium Backup. It gives more info and help that just using ICS to freeze.

Once I got to the card, TB had all the files ready and waiting to be restored.

Some of the stuff I had frozen with TB, and ICS never showed up. Was that CM, or restored files? After rooting and factory reset, all the crap was back. Once new ROM flashed and card working - crap gone.

Does anyone do information on ROMS blog style? XDA does know what they are doing, but reading through mostly unjoined and/or shorthand comments is the pits.

7. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Alright I am completely lost but I will try to explain as good as I can..

Factory reset is basically data Format
    data contains the apk and settings
    after a factory reset both are lost

If you freeze stuff with ICS or TB ,the settings will be gone after Factory reset .Consequently the crapware will re-appear

After flashing a new ROM ,you are presented with a new Operating system .
    Stuff which may have been present in Stock ROM may not be present in say CM .

So after crapware frozen in Stock ROM is flashed with another ROM ,the crapware may not even exist in the new ROM .

Specifically ROM is a new system in its own .
    Features which may be in stock ROM ,may not be in custom and vice versa .

8. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    So what I need is info on what some custom ROMS actually do, rather than the blurbs that entice gamers and overclockers.

I've run into so much crap with peripherals on the computer that I'm suspicious. For a while, no box of software was putting system requirements where you could read them before purchase. I've bought other products that I can't find info for on the web, and the store clerks don't know either. I love info, and lots of it.

Thanks for all the info you have posted so far.

What does new radio in a ROM mean? I've seen some that had that. Can a ROM change the bands that are built into the phone? Or are they referring to broadcast-type radio and wifi?

9. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Well, custom ROMS are like different versions of the OS. They are all android, but some of them are different. The best example I can think of is a Sense ROM (HTC) compared to other ROMS. Sense is highly integrated into the OS, so it is more than just a launcher. Different things are 'cooked' in so to speak. Some will include alternatives to the normal software (I had one that instead of 'Internet' (stock browser) had Maxathon).

Sometimes they'll have little 'bonuses' thrown in too. Some will have a toggle bar added to the notification pull down. Those are always, IMO, very helpful.

Hope that helps a bit.

10. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    What do Custom ROMs do really depends on ROM to ROM .
    Some are just basic which just debloat a ROM
    Some come with custom kernels which allow a variety of features
    Some are best of the both worlds

Feature may include :
    O/C,U/C ,undervolting CPU, adding CPU governors which decide how a CPU will clock under load which is more important than overclocking ,adding I/O schedulers which decides how the I/O is handled by CPU,increasing signal strength ,adding support for additional file systems ,adding total encryption to your phone , modifying sound output ,modifying how sqllite ,modifying Notification windows ,Frameworks ,additional support for audio files and video files ,theme integration ,touchscreen sensitivity,lockscreens arrangement, and so on

Some ROMs are built/compiled from the Android Source .they are known as AOSP ROMs Some are modified from Stock Firmware .

What they actually do ?
    The same thing your Stock System does . Run your phone .
    Can they do it much more efficiently ?
    Thats debatable
    Why would I install a Custom ROM ?
    Dunno .Functionality .Speed .Whim .

Personally when I used my older Phone a Samsung lower end ,I needed Custom ROMs just to run Basic Tasks like playing a game of angry Birds or hoping that my battery last a day . I was a ROM dev. for my phone .
    I hated the default Touchwiz . I felt the need the performance and because the manu. didn't update the phone

Now I have a mid end Xperia mini Pro and I just rooted the phone cos I needed an app from my Titanium Backup and I need Toggles on my Notification Windows .
    Else I dont need a Custom ROM as of now since the default Stock firmware works for me .

Both .Radio means the entire wireless Radio of phone which includes Data conn,Calls,WiFi,FM Radio,GPS
    Some phones can change Bands but mostly a newer Radio is used to improve the Connection or improve the battery usage .

11. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I need something that will run the huge databases and live views from astronomy apps with no fussing and speed. Also the large nature apps - Ibird is also huge. Some weather apps. I've got my eye on some O'Reilly books that have gone digital.

It's May and we are having a freaking snow shower!!