1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support N/S is switched in Maps!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bdemarco, May 5, 2011.

1. bdemarco

bdemarco Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Can anyone confirm that this is *not* a problem with their phone? I have a new Inc 2. The magnetometer itself seems fine --- the "Compass" app from the Market always indicates N correctly. However, in Google Maps, N/S is switched (if I am stationary and Maps is using the magnetometer). Amusingly, E/W is correct. Once I start moving, and Maps uses a GPS reading of my motion to determine N/S, then everything is fine.

Advertisement

2. mtollin

mtollin Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    Yea I noticed it too. Works fine in Compass, but if I turn on Google Earth look around it's backwards.

3. AnnoyedDroid

AnnoyedDroid Guest
    None
    Just got my DInc2 tonight. Carroer is VZ. Yes I did the figure 8 shuffle.

It appears that in Google Maps the reorted heading is "flipped" about the east-west axis, so that north and south are interchanged and similarly NE<=>SE and NW<=>SW

Google Skymap also gives incorrect headings. Note the common denominator...Google.

The freebie Compass app from Catch, Inc reports correct headings. So I'm pretty sure the chip wasn't flipped by some tech. :)

Has anyone seen a NON-Google-derived app which gives WRONG headings? If not, then I really suspect that someone at Google got his poles reversed. That would be pretty scary for someone developing GIS apps!

4. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Yeah, this seems to be an issue. I've been reading posts on Android Central from people reporting the same thing.

Here's the thread in Android Central
    GPS issues, fix? - Android Forums