• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help n00b help moving mp3s to Moment please

Jas0n

Apr 4, 2010
~24 hours new to the world of Android.

Looking to stop using my ipod in favor of my Moment. I've got spare chargers and everything, I'm thinking this could work.

However, I have a few questions with regard to the proper way to get files onto my Moment.

If I sync up by USB, I show three folders: "DCIM," which is empty, "download" which is where I happened to save an image that I emailed myself for a desktop background, and "LOST.DIR" which has a few files that I don't recognize, with short, numerical names.

My first line of questions begins: what is the proper location to drag and drop my mp3s? I'd like to create folders so I can categorize my music. I'd really like to have a music folder on my Moment desktop that I can open and browse, but failing that, I'd like to have the files categorized for ease of drag-and-drop and so forth. I downloaded an .mp3-format ringtone at one point, and it saved in the "download" directory. Worst comes to worst, I could have everything directly in that directory - I'm afraid it'd get disorganized fast. (And I'd have to rename lots of files...)

My second line of questioning is in regard to the best music file management and music playing software. I see a "media" folder... is that what we're stuck with, and is it good? And what for the standard Android media player?

I appreciate your thoughts.

~24 hours new to the world of Android.

Looking to stop using my ipod in favor of my Moment. I've got spare chargers and everything, I'm thinking this could work.

However, I have a few questions with regard to the proper way to get files onto my Moment.

If I sync up by USB, I show three folders: "DCIM," which is empty, "download" which is where I happened to save an image that I emailed myself for a desktop background, and "LOST.DIR" which has a few files that I don't recognize, with short, numerical names.

My first line of questions begins: what is the proper location to drag and drop my mp3s? I'd like to create folders so I can categorize my music. I'd really like to have a music folder on my Moment desktop that I can open and browse, but failing that, I'd like to have the files categorized for ease of drag-and-drop and so forth. I downloaded an .mp3-format ringtone at one point, and it saved in the "download" directory. Worst comes to worst, I could have everything directly in that directory - I'm afraid it'd get disorganized fast. (And I'd have to rename lots of files...)

My second line of questioning is in regard to the best music file management and music playing software. I see a "media" folder... is that what we're stuck with, and is it good? And what for the standard Android media player?

I appreciate your thoughts.
You can create a "my music" folder. You can have other folders under it for your various albums, etc.
I use Handcent SMS for texts (very customizable - down to a separate background and color and font for each contact!) and Meridian Media player - which plays just about anything. I also have Astro to manage files on the unit.

Reactions: Jas0n
Upvote 0
"My Music" should be in the root directory of the SD card - so I'd have DCIM, download, LOST.DIR, and My Music showing when I sync up?

Big thanks, fellas.
Yep. That's how mine is.
I also have a "my videos", and use SuperC(c) in Ipod mode (I do tweak the screen res and the audio settings some) to make movies fit and play well on the unit...

Reactions: Jas0n
Upvote 0
I've organized my MP3 files on the SD card with \music\Artist\Album. I'm sticking with the stock "Music" program to play the MP3's. the other programs I tried had some nice features, but the Music program is stable and has nice big icons for playing music in the car.

You may find that album art and metadata are problems with Music. I had problems with that and cleaned up my collection with Mp3tag. I found that writing the ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 UTF-16 tags and downloading any missing cover art from Amazon was a fairly quick process. I also had to delete any folder.jpg files I had to keep the Gallery program from putting album art in slideshows.

I came from the Zune world, but you might have some of the same issues coming from iTunes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones