1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

n00b Question on ROMs and what to do next

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ConquistadorTX, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ConquistadorTX

1. So I rooted using the Universal One Step root just before the recent OTA update. I disabled the notification using steps on the forum. Do I need to re-root using an update that includes the OTA changes, or is that automatically fixed when I get my first new ROM?

2. I wanna get my first ROM but it's so overwhelming to know where to start....Bugless Beast, Cyanogenmod?? Which is better for n00Bs?

3. I have RootExplorer, Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, and SetCPU, is that all I will need for now?

4. How do I backup everything on my phone first, in case I botch something?

Thanks for you help in advance. My phone is FC a lot recently so I can't wait for my first ROM.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

1. most ROM's out now are based on 2.2.1, so there is no need to go through the OTA update if you are going to flash a new one.

2. if you want something close to stock, go with Bugless. it was my first ROM after rooting, and it is basically just a copy of FroYo that has been stripped of bloatware and is optimized for performance. if you want insane levels of customization, i would suggest going with UltimateDroid or Cyanogen. these have a completely revamped UI and built in options to change nearly everything on the phone. i have been using UltimateDroid since 1.0.0 and i still do not know how to use all of the options available, lol.

3. those apps have you covered. you may want to add Metamorph to the list if you are considering changing icons and homescreen layouts yourself, but it certainly isn't necessary.

4. to create a full backup, go into ROM manager and flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then select backup current ROM. next, use Titanium Backup to save all of your app information. if you have the paid version, you can hit menu and back up all apps/system data as a batch; if not, you will have to do them one by one. with a copy of your current ROM, and a backup of all your app/system info, restoring will be a breeze. i would suggest repeating this process before flashing any new ROM.

ConquistadorTX likes this.
  3. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Android Enthusiast

1. OTA notifications stop with any new ROM install these days. Never really had a problem with them.

2. Basically you have two types of ROM's. Source-built, which is a ROM that is put together from scratch using the google release code. Source-built are typically more feature-heavy, which I personally like. For example, Cyanogenmod lets you use the volume rocker button to skip through music tracks with the screen off. Great for driving. It also has the power control widget built into the notification bar. Want to turn wifi off/on? Pull down the notification bar and toggle it on/off. SIMPLE and quick. Some say these ROM's don't run as fast as the other type. But honestly at this point all ROM's are much faster than stock. The second type of ROM is a modded stock ROM, not compiled from scratch. Bits and pieces are thrown out, trimmed, etc to make them as fast as possible. They don't however, include things like music controls with the screen off. They focus more on running scripts for personal preferences. I'd say these ROM's are more for the technical people who like to get their hands dirty and are all about numbers/gains/speed/etc. If you go this route, Bugless Beast is a great option.

Source picks: CVPCS (sapphire), Cyanogenmod (my current choice)
    Other pick: Bugless Beast (never really tried any others)

3. Those apps are great standards. SetCPU is my personal favorite. I set some profiles for different scenarios (battery level and CPU speed, charging, etc.) Paired with a great low voltage kernel, I'm consistently able to get MUCH more battery life than stock, with better performance. That's the main reason why I rooted.

4. Do a nandroid backup in the recovery console. This makes a copy of your current setup and if anything goes wrong you can just restore it. I don't think I've ever actually seen a "bricked" phone. Even though about 50 posts a day think they are. Also, before installing a ROM- YOU NEED TO WIPE DATA AND CACHE!!!! I can't harp on this enough. This means you will need to re-sign into google when it restarts for the first time, possibly reactivate your phone (will not cast you money) and will need to reinstall any apps you had. I use Titanium Backup to backup my user data for each app and let the market re-download all the apps I've previously downloaded. Google keeps a record of which apps you have on your phone, including the paid ones. So when you initially boot with your new fresh and clean ROM, the market will automatically start downloading missing apps. I then go into Titanium and restore user data as I need. You can have Titanium backup both app and data, but I find it easier and faster for me to do it my way. To each his own I suppose.

- The FC's will stop when you wipe data/cache on the ROM install.

Have fun!

UPDATE: I just read that the new Bugless Beast is built from source as well.

ConquistadorTX likes this.
  4. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Android Enthusiast

DAMN, beat me to it! haha.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews