• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help n00b wifi question

Big Rik

Lurker
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio
Hi, first time post, first time droid user (been a BB user for 10+ years)

When I connect to wifi (open wifi like McD's) I cannot get any data passed, can't open web pages, mail, market, DL's etc

Is there something very simple I should be doing?
All I do is enable wifi, it finds it, I connect and then nothing.

I tried to search the forum, but any wifi questions are all around hotspots.

Remember I'm a droid n00b, so I don't really want to root my phone, it's great as it is and I wouldn't need wifi if the Amazon market would let me DL apps bigger then 20mb.

Thanks in advance

I don't have home wifi to test, but I have tried multiple open wifi's, multiple times, all with the same result, as if there is no connection (even though it says connected)

I see that when wifi connects, it disconnects 3g, when I disconnect wifi, the 3g kicks back in and the pages load, mail comes in etc.

As I said, the only reason I need it is for Amazon app downloads, which I have one sat there trying to DL and waiting for wifi.

Rik

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

nope, that didn't work either.
After initially trying airplane mode and then turning on the wifi, I tried multiple variations and orders, of wifi, airplane and 3g on and off and on 3 different open wifi networks (Panera, McD's and Starbucks :) )

Any other ideas, anybody?
It's got to be something simple hasn't it?

Upvote 0
Any other ideas, anybody?
It's got to be something simple hasn't it?

hopefully this solves your issue.
One question... are you using the stock browser?
when you connect to the open wireless network at McD's or B&N or whatever, open up your stock browser and try to go to a site. say google. hopefully it brings up the the terms and usage agreement with the check box somewhere on the page or something that you can click that says "I accept" or or something similar. Im pretty sure anything other than the stock browser will not bring up that page
If you are still having issues or you dont get that then im sorry to have wasted your time.

Reactions: Big Rik
Upvote 0
hopefully this solves your issue.
One question... are you using the stock browser?
when you connect to the open wireless network at McD's or B&N or whatever, open up your stock browser and try to go to a site. say google. hopefully it brings up the the terms and usage agreement with the check box somewhere on the page or something that you can click that says "I accept" or or something similar. Im pretty sure anything other than the stock browser will not bring up that page
If you are still having issues or you dont get that then im sorry to have wasted your time.

yes, found this out yesterday and didn't want to come back on here and admit to being a complete douche.....

I've only ever set up and used my own wireless networks, that once the initial authentication is complete, you don't ever need to log in or accept, so when my wifi 'connected' to these open networks, I didn't realise I had to connect via a browser again.

thanks for the follow up and it was something really simple.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones