• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
What is the difference in measurement? I usually only see one pair of head/body measurements on most sites.

10g is the European SAR standard
1g is the USA SAR standard.

The European standard uses 10g of tissue to measure absorption, the USA standard uses 1g of tissue.

Europe European Specification
ES 59005 (1998)
ICNIRP Guidelines 1998
(ICNIRP 1998)

2.0 W/Kg in 10g of tissue

US Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Guidelines (FCC 1997)
American Standard ANSI C95.1 (ANSI 1992)
1.6 W/Kg in 1g of tissue

Upvote 0
10g is the European SAR standard
1g is the USA SAR standard.

Ah, thanks, Chris!

Those numbers are high, but they're still better (at the head) than the Droid or the Droid Eris. The Eris spanks them both for the body reading (0.78), but the Moto Droid is a beast at 1.49/body 1.5/head.

One of the things I liked about the N1 was the ORIGINAL reports of the SAR levels. I think I might go for the Eris at this point, esp. since it's going to the the Android 2.0 upgrade next month. I know it's not the powerhouse that the N1 or the Droid are, but if it can make phone calls and give me an SSH client, that's all I care about. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones