• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N6P or.....?

angiembfl

May 3, 2011
NE FL
Hi! I currently have a SGS4 but am ready for something new. I used to have an N4 and really enjoyed it, but that camera really stunk and I depend on having a good camera in my cell. So I'm getting to decide between the N6P, N5X, or SGS7. I'm having trouble with the idea of no SD card slot.

Anyway, I've read about the specs. But are there any things about the phone that may help me decide that you'd only know after having and using it?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: scary alien
I looooooove my N6P!

Powerful / fast. Great camera. Nexus device. Awesome display.

I had a Nexus 5 before and almost got the N5X, but decided on the bump to the larger form factor...didn't take too long to get used to it, but it is definitely bigger. You might want to visit one in a store if you can to make sure it's not too big.

Just a small warning if you get the folio case from Google--it is VERY difficult to remove the device from the case once it's in there. You can do it, but you've got to have a thin piece of plastic to help you jimmy the device out without damaging it (ping me back if you get the N6P and the folio case and I'll elaborate).

Cheers and good luck!

Upvote 0
Second the above. Love my 6P, but the size is definitely...significant.

A couple of thoughts:
1) Bluetooth performance is occasionally a little bit glitchy. Toggling BT off and on seems to address this.
2) I've had days where my battery drained more than I necessarily would have expected during the day. Hard to tell whether this is specific to me or pretty average.

Upvote 0
How long did it take to get used to the size? I'm having a hard time finding a store to see it in person before buying.

Well, going gradually from an HTC Droid Eris (tiny!) to a Moto Droid X to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 certainly helped...

I'll carry it in my shirt pocket (yeah, it sticks-out a bit) or my front pocket (never in my back pocket) and it does have some heft/size to it, but the width vs. length ratio makes it feel like a nice fit in your hand.

Upvote 0
I came from the nexus 6, and immediately preferred the narrower, slightly taller form factor. It feels more natural in the hand.

When I made the jump from the Nexus 5 to the larger Nexus 6 it did take me a few days to get used to the size. I liked the large screen right away, but having a larger phone in your pocket/trying to navigate one handed takes some getting used to.

Upvote 0
I'd love to know which cases you bought if you don't mind sharing.

I've bought:
The official adopted case:
https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p

Spigen thin fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Spigen...&qid=1467731700&sr=1-7&keywords=nexus+6P+case

Spigen Rugged Armor:
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugge...&qid=1467731700&sr=1-4&keywords=nexus+6P+case

Ever since the rugged armor came in the mail its the only one I've used.

The Adopted case looks the best, but has less protection. Additionally, when the phone first came out that case had issues with being able to differentiate volume up/down button presses. Not sure if they've resolved this or not.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
So far as I can see, there are only three downsides to the N6: the price, the size and the fact the new Nexus is due out in a couple of months. If you're OK with all of those minor gripes, I'd go for it. By all accounts it's an awesome phone.

If the size or the price bother you, the N5X is also pretty awesome, though in significantly more down-market looking package ;) I got bought mine the day it came out and I have not been disappointed. Also, while it is also going to be superseded in a couple of months, you can now get it for a ridiculously low price.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones