1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support N7 (2012) - Suddenly won't boot.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BradTheGeek, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BradTheGeek

BradTheGeek Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2012
    So, I got 2 N7 refurbs (32GB) from woot a week or two ago. One for me, and one for my GF. Both looked pristine and worked fine. After setting them up, a day or two later, I rooted mine and installed the Cyanogenmod 11 nightly (I wanted to try the ART runtime).

It has been working fine for a week or more, so I do not think the cyanogenmod/root is the issue. I used the tab this morning to read some recipes while cooking. Later, it was down to about 30% battery, I plugged it into a phone charger I had near my desk (the higher current nexus charger was in another room). Two to three hours later, I pick it up, and the screen won't cut on.

I have since switched to the original charger, no luck. I have tried booting to the bootloader screen. No luck. Sometimes I can see the backlight flash, and one time it got stuck on (just the backlight), until I pulled the charger. There is no charging indication on the screen with the charger either, just dead except for the sometimes backlight flash when holding the power button.

I am afraid this thing is dead, but ineligible for return since I rooted and ROMed it.

Any advice or CPR tips would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    I'm sure you've already tried, but just in case hold down the power button for around 10 to 30 seconds. Otherwise, all I got is it just may be a hardware issue..

3. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    If you cant get it to turn on then odds are they cant either, send it in for repair as you have nothing to lose aside from having to pay a few bucks for them to ship it back to you.

Even broken you can sell it on a site like Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets > Swappa as people are always looking for parts like good screens and batteries.

4. BradTheGeek

BradTheGeek Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2012
    Figured it out. Apparently the refurb process replaced the battery. It was not glued down as tight as the orig. It slid a bit and slightly unplugged the battery wire. Problem solved.

John Bean likes this.
  5. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    Simple things like loose connections can be a problem to find. Glad this one was easy :)