• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help N7 2013 Touch Screen Issues

alhenderson

Nov 16, 2010
Northampton, UK
Afternoon All,

I bought my wife a 2013 N7 for Christmas (was bought around October last year from the Play Store). Every now and again (few times a week) the touch screen completely freezes and won't respond. For the first few times I thought it was one of those things and held down the power button to restart it. However, its pretty persistent. When it happens, the button at the bottom of the screen to list the running apps works, but I can't choose an app.

My initial thought it was a dodgy app of some sort (she's got all sorts on there!) but then I read about this multi touch issue. I can't really find a definitive answer to what this issue is, though. I have run a multi-touch test app and all seems fine (although I don't know reliable that is in diagnosing the problem).

Its running 4.4.2 so should in theory have whatever fix Google put in last year. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? I was going to return it, but the Play store says you can only do that within 15 days. I'm sure there's more to it than that, mind you.

Cheers,
Al.

there are problmswith the screen. xda dev there is a fix for that multi-touch issue. im running cm 11 and not having a problem

Did you have the problem previously? My N7 doesn't have the problem and its running stock Kit Kat. Don't want to root and run a custom ROM if I don't have the multi touch problem..

Al.

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on the fix or provide a link pls?
I have similar issue... Mis-taps and moving icons by accident... Ugh.

The fix involves installing a custom version of Android on the device in which someone has made some code changes to fix the problem. It's not rocket science, but equally you need to have a certain level of competence to do it. Apologies if I'm sounding condescending!

Al

Upvote 0
In my opinion if I have to root and install a custom rom for the touchscreen to work, its a hardware / warranty problem and I want a real fix, not a software band aid. That's my opinion anyway.
I think you need to go here and follow the "Contact Us" link to initiate a phone call. When I exchanged I had a phone number to call, but damned if I can find it now.:eek:
https://support.google.com/nexus/#topic=3415518

Upvote 0
In my opinion if I have to root and install a custom rom for the touchscreen to work, its a hardware / warranty problem and I want a real fix, not a software band aid. That's my opinion anyway.
I think you need to go here and follow the "Contact Us" link to initiate a phone call. When I exchanged I had a phone number to call, but damned if I can find it now.:eek:
https://support.google.com/nexus/#topic=3415518

Quite agree! On a device this new, I shouldn't need to be jumping through hoops to get fundamental stuff like that working. Found a Google hardware support number which I will use when I get through...

Al.

Upvote 0
Good luck al. Make sure you back up anything you need as they will have you do a factory reset as part of their troubleshooting. Once you make it through level one support (it was quick and easy for me) they will send an email your can reply to and add any documentation or additional information. I attached a screenshot of a touch test:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp.stest. From phone initial contact to having a shipping label to return the defect was maybe 1 hour. A few days for the replacement to come in, tape the new label to the defect, and it was done.

Upvote 0
No worries brother.
Could you elaborate on the ROM? I'm aware of the pitfalls.

To be honest, I haven't rooted my N7. A quick Google for Cyanogenmod Nexus 7 would probably get you better guidance than I could give. Might also be a root thread on this forum which would help..

Al.

Reactions: DeadDude
Upvote 0
Well, mine isn't rooted, either.
It was a gift. Was interested in rooting and all that jazz... Main reason I wanted it.

;)

Fortunately this tab is considered a "developers" device and rooting is quite easy. Back everything up, unlocking the bootloader wipes the device. I replaced the screen on my wife's. Cost 75 bucks for a new LCD+digitizer assembly. But I would try the fix on xda first.

Reactions: DeadDude
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones