• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm entering my first year of HS (a public school) and the teachers are promoting getting a tablet or computer to help with school. With backpacks being SO HEAVY it's almost necessary to use ebooks instead of actual books.

If you're trying to convince your parents to let you get a N7 for HS this is why you should get it:

1. Price- $200 - $25 Free PS Credit= $175 - $10 G Waller Credit = $165 N7!

2. Reading- $25 worth of FREE books! Say you don't wanna lug around a 50 ton backpack all day (but don't be whiney)

3. Note taking- There's a plethora of note taking apps for the N7. Evernote even syncs with your computer too!

4. Writing papers- If you have a study hall, take advantage of it! Buy a BT Keyboard and get ahead on your papers by typing them at school. (Your mom will love that one) Check out my review of the ZAGGKeys Flex in the sig.

There's countless uses for the N7.

I hope I helped!

-GNex

Upvote 0
entering my first year of HS (a public school) and the teachers are promoting getting a tablet or computer to help with school. With backpacks being SO HEAVY it's almost necessary to use ebooks instead of actual books.

If you're trying to convince your parents to let you get a N7 for HS this is why you should get it:

1. Price- $200 - $25 Free PS Credit= $175 - $10 G Waller Credit = $165 N7!

2. Reading- $25 worth of FREE books! Say you don't wanna lug around a 50 ton backpack all day (but don't be whiney)

3. Note taking- There's a plethora of note taking apps for the N7. Evernote even syncs with your computer too!

4. Writing papers- If you have a study hall, take advantage of it! Buy a BT Keyboard and get ahead on your papers by typing them at school. (Your mom will love that one) Check out my review of the ZAGGKeys Flex in the sig.

There's countless uses for the N7.

I hope I helped!

-GNex

This is ridiculous! Heavy bags are you kidding me!? What are you an 80year old lady? I think its much better to carry a backpack full of books and notebooks for a high school students . Kinda like an exercise to burn extra calories and build a bit muscle.. On to go! And im talking about general students not just you. Especially with all that junk food kids eat these days.
I dont know whats gonna happen if all kids gonna have tablets instead of books. For a college student tablet is ideal.. My gf back in 09 was spending around $500 on books per semester. And last two semester we switched to digital format it saved us a bit of money and of course no shipping cost and time. The other good thing is that if you dont have a book you can ask your student mate to take a screenshots of the pages you need and email them to you if of course he is using tablet . I used to take pictures of the pages that i needed with my dslr camera on lunch because some books take more than a week to get to you place and next day shipping isnt cheap extra $40 would surely hit your pocket.

Upvote 0
In high school, pen and paper is just fine though. That's just my opinion. In fact, I got through my undergrad just fine with predominately pen and paper. I only had a laptop for personal use and essay writing. But all notes I took were by hand. Professors and your fellow students prefer that, since watching someone look at photos on facebook while you are trying to pay attention is incredibly annoying.

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous! Heavy bags are you kidding me!? What are you an 80year old lady? I think its much better to carry a backpack full of books and notebooks for a high school students . Kinda like an exercise to burn extra calories and build a bit muscle.. On to go! And im talking about general students not just you. Especially with all that junk food kids eat these days.
I dont know whats gonna happen if all kids gonna have tablets instead of books. For a college student tablet is ideal.. My gf back in 09 was spending around $500 on books per semester. And last two semester we switched to digital format it saved us a bit of money and of course no shipping cost and time. The other good thing is that if you dont have a book you can ask your student mate to take a screenshots of the pages you need and email them to you if of course he is using tablet . I used to take pictures of the pages that i needed with my dslr camera on lunch because some books take more than a week to get to you place and next day shipping isnt cheap extra $40 would surely hit your pocket.

* rant *
Sorry, SkyRocket, but you're incredulity is just a sign of ignorance. No study that I know of has shown a link between heavy textbooks and strong, fit children. However, there have been studies that link them with shoulder and back problems later in life.

But, ya know, you can just go on thinking how special and strong you were in high school and how "kids these days" are weaklings. Just, please, don't have kids of your own with this gf of yours.
*/ rant *

(sorry everyone, this kind of ignorance and self congratulation gets under my skin)

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
All schools are different. You have to check the rules of your system to know. My daughter's high school allows no tablets at all. It is too easy for them to be on something like Facebook instead of paying attention they said. One kid and his mom were really upset at open house when they found out he couldn't use his iTampon.

Upvote 0
GalaxyNexus,

I am not arguing against you at all, but there is no need for the attempt at bragging. The daughter I mentioned earlier is also going into IB and is also an athlete in SWFL. That has nothing to do with the situation. Block scheduling actually helps with the weight load. It does not make it more difficult. BTW, all middle and high schools in our district are now on block scheduling and it has nothing to do with IB.

Good luck in your football season and stay healthy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones