• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N7 timings - boot, shutdown, internet

whs37

Android Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2011
Florida/Germany
Coming from Windows, I noticed that the booting of the N7 is quite slow. I think it is in the 29sec range. My Windows7 desktop can boot faster than that (23sec).

Given that Android is small (a ;lot smaller than Windows 7) and that the N7 runs on some kind of solid state disk, I would have expected it to be faster. Are there any tricks to speed it up ??

Shutdown is quite slow too. That ususally does not bother me because I would not be waiting for it.

In contrast, the internet connections are instant. That is something I have never seen on my PCs that are on the same line (DSL6000 with Netgear router). So that is a big plus.

tables (including the N7) are design to be on all the time, so Shutdown only happen when there is a low power scheme or reboot. On this cases the boot loader goes through a lot configuration to confirm functionality and to make sure to save the stage of everything running so it can be restore on bootup.

That is also why it take sometime to boot, it's trying to restore it last known stage and running diagnostics.

Why are you shutting down the table so much? just curiosity.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I am not shutting it down all the time. But when I will not be using it for half of the day, I turn it off. It preserves some power - I think.

It does, but the tables are not design for that, half a day on deep sleep it may take 1% of your battery. (I don't have the exact number on the top of my head, but it can be easily look up), that could be affected by services like Exchange or Gmail push, or any service that have push-pull or anything that take the table from deepsleep, however unless you get like 10 or more emails per minutes, it shouldn't take more than a few pressentais of the battery.

I use my table regularly, email, internet, games and social media, also for reading maybe 3 to 5 hours per charge. and I find myself charging it once a week.

Reactions: whs37
Upvote 0
An aside: with my Nexus 7, simply starting it up seems difficult. If it's been off, pressing and holding the power button only works occasionally and after I let it go it takes several seconds before the Google splash screen shows up. Is this normal? From the previous posts in this thread I see that I shouldn't be turning it off frequently but still...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones