• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root N7 USB Not WOrking. Ideas?

Pappy35

Sep 27, 2012
Memphis, TN
OK. Time for today's dumb question...

I got my OTG dongle today. I'm rooted. Stick a known good flash drive on and I get...

...nothing.

Both File Manager HD and ES File Explorer don't show it. The tab doesn't, like, 'do' anything when I plug it in (I mean as in there's no sign it recognizes anything is there).

Am I missing something? Should USB debug be on/off? Sacrifice a goat? What?

Also, when I say 'known good' I mean I plugged it into my Mac and a Windows 7 laptop and there are a couple of files on it.

OK. So now my N7 (with 4.2 freshly installed) won't show any files on the OTG dongle when I plug it in. I verified the file are there on my Mac and a PC laptop. Any ideas?

I wiped my N7 for the purpose of restoring from TiBU but since the card shows empty when attached that obviously isn't working.

I'm Rooted, running 4.2, Stickmount in installed and granted root access as is TiBU. I'm stuck. Really not happy that this backup/restore thing is being so problematic.

Also, though I have Google Drive setup as a backup location, TiBU doesn't seem to be putting anything out there..

Upvote 0
Stickmount now works, but it is a little more flakey. If you want to access files on the external mem, open the app first, i.e., Root Explorer, Astro, Music Player, then attach the OTG usb cable. Seems to work much better for me that way. Otherwise, I seem to have to unmount/mount several times to get it mounted. Unmounting doesn't always work for me and sometimes I just have to unplug when finished.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones