• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N7000: Replace Micro SD Receptacle?

Didn't think Note's were that old - isn't it still under warranty?

If not, I would suggest your safest option would be to send it in for repair.
It's starting to look like I'm SOL.

Samsung in Texas doesn't even want to talk about it - warranty OR repair... "... only products made for the USA market...".

Global Mobile, the Amazon retailer, is not accepting emails sent via Amazon's "ContactUs" link.

Upvote 0
In the USA you really get burned by Samsung. If you buy a phone that is built for the USA market, it comes locked to a carrier. I bought mine in Germany, before the GN was offered in the USA. I had problems. Samsung refused to support it out of market.

I have a first generation GN1 that is almost a brick as a phone, but works well as a tablet. That is why my primary phone is an iPhone 5. There is nothing spectacular about Apple. It has far less functionality than Android, but I made the trade off.

Upvote 0
In the USA you really get burned by Samsung....
Europe too.

My N7000 was "Made for the European market".

Samsung Texas: "Sorry that phone is made for the European market. You need to take it to Samsung UK".

Samsung UK: "What? You're in the USA? Sorry, we won't touch it."

The retailer, Global Mobiles (in Germany) eventually responded to email and offered to act as middleman if I sent the phone to them. Sixty bucks (!!!!) to sent it one way. Of course Samsung looked at it and pronounced it not covered because of some contact cleaner residue from me trying to remedy the problem myself. Thirty bucks to Global Mobiles to get it back..... $90.00 down the drain.

"OK", says I, "Let's take a closer look at this thing...."

Found a YouTube clip on how to disassemble the N7000...

Turns out that the USB port is part of a replaceable mini-board that cost me about ten bucks *total*... including shipping from Guandong, mainland China.

Replacement involved removing 11 screws and two connectors. Total time about 30 minutes.... total cost $10.00... and now, not only does my phone it work A-OK, I've got two mini-Torx drivers, two case prying tools, a suction cup (???) and two guitar-pick-like thingies whose function eludes me... all of which came with the replacement board for TEN DOLLARS INCLUDING SHIPPING ALL THE FREAKING WAY FROM MAINLAND CHINA.

The takeaway for me is to look very closely at the fine print in Samsung's so-called warranty before buying anything Samsung again.

I give Samsung points for modular construction/repairability.... but their warranty thinking sucks canal water.

Can anybody at Samsung spell "G-L-O-B-A-L-- E-C-O-N-O-M-Y" ?....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones