• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Naked or case?

Using protection?

• Total voters
No you're right...the Innocase II is extremely streamlined. I have it on my 8900 and it really doesn't add much to the phone. It's actually pretty thin for a hard case.

While it is pretty thin for a hard case it does give the phone a more substantial foot print. I have had the Innocase II on my previous Blackberry Tour and my current Droid. And it does indeed make the phone larger, you wouldn

Upvote 0
I got an email today stating that my Clarivue Ultra-Clear screen protector has shipped. It was on backorder before. 5 to 10 business days it should be here :)

The Clarivue is one I didn't really mention...but it was also the only one in addition to the others that I was curious about....and this was because I just didn't know how their product stacks up against the others. Does anyone have experience with both Clarivue and some of the other screen protectors so as to give a bit of comparison? Since the other products aren't available this one might be a better back up than the Ghost Armor?

Upvote 0
I got an email today stating that my Clarivue Ultra-Clear screen protector has shipped. It was on backorder before. 5 to 10 business days it should be here :)

I got my shipping email yesterday and my Clarivue privacy screen protector is in the mail as well :)! Just a little closer to everything coming together!! Hey Seidio, chop chop, lol.

@ andiron- I wish I could give you a comparison, but Clarivue is the only protector I've used.

Reactions: andiron
Upvote 0
Nekkid. Just as the day of manufacture, and as God intended.:p

I will probably go protection-less, that's just how I roll.

This.

Mine will be exactly how I sleep at night...

Also this.

Those big-ass cases are too bulky and I feel like a tool when I use a holster or a clip.

I feel like a tool for just having thought of holsters and clips!:eek:

After having an iPhone for nearly two years without protection, and trying to be common sense conscientious, the device has escaped major wear and tear. The back (glossy black plastic) has numerous microscratches, but these are hardly noticeable. The screen is in pristine condition, despite the phone being twice dropped on concrete.

Upvote 0
I've gone back each day for the last several days and have yet to find anyone that says another product is better than the Steinheil. And for the record....I'm not saying that they don't exist! LOL ....just saying I haven't found it yet. People are always quite impressed. I'm sold! Just waiting for availability. I can't remember the name of the web site....and I'm at work now and saw it at home....but I watched a video of a Steinheil Anti Fingerprint guard being applied to an iPhone. The guy had been using the Steinheil...and a Innocase to protect his phone and had dropped it. The innocase took the ding for the phone and screen protector did it's job as well. His case did suffer just enough damage as to need to be replaced (one of the tabs holding the two case parts together broke). The application process and finished product looked great...and I would definitely say the all around protection was just perfect.

On a separate note...for some reason I've dropped my current phone twice in the last week. Just this morning I had it in my hand with some other items and just let loose of it. It didn't slip...I just let go! That's a Katana flip phone....screen protected. It made it through okay...so I just have to get down the road a few weeks and all will be good.

One more thought about screen protection. It seems a lot of people like to go naked. And I can fully understand this...especially with regard to women....I mean after all...beautiful bodies look great exposed...and if you have a purse to protect your phone...well? hee hee. Anyway, I pocket my phone all the time...and think it's inevitable that this is where I would get most of my potential scratches. For this reason...I think the screen protector will be a must....and the Steinheil the closest thing to actually being naked. Too bad I don't get a cut for talking up their product...especially since I've never even used it yet!

Okay...just found the video...this one is for the Anti Fingerprint which reportedly works very well...but I'm thinking of trying both this version and the Crystal Clear....and as I said before...talks about the Seidio case...anyway...here it is....

YouTube - SGP Screen Shield Install & Review

Upvote 0
HTC是ichiban;704263 said:
how does Clarivue have access to the actual screensize when the phone hasn't come out yet? did they get a dummy model to make the screen protector?

never even heard of the company before

I stumbled upon this company in 2008, when I was searching for a privacy screen protector. Never heard of them as well (they are based in Blaine, WA and I lived in Seattle for 4yrs...go figure), but I figured I'd give them a shot. Which turned out to be a good one.

As for how they have the specs to produce the protector, I have no idea. But what I do know is, that during the time of the release of the Blackberry 8900, companies (to include Clarivue) had products ready for the device before it even hit the hands of the users. I mean I had the screen protector and Seidio Innocase II before I physically had the device and the fitment was perfect. Again, I have no clue as to how.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to comment that while I will not be using a screen protector on the Evo (due to it being capacitive and having a glass screen instead of plastic) that the Steinheil screen protecters are the absolute best out there. I tried literally 6 different companies with my Touch Pro 2, and not a single one of them adhered correctly or stayed adhered as well as the Steinheil. It has been on for 2 months now and not a single lifted corner or bubble. I absolutely recommend them. (I have the Crystal.... great clarity). They are also cheaper than most of the others out there, they come in 2 packs for only $11, and shipping is only a couple bucks too.

link

Reactions: andiron
Upvote 0
i'm not sure why most of you are suggesting using products which include a spray on solution for the screen protector to be applied. when you go to remove this, for whatever reason, you're left with sticky residue. static cling is the best type of screen protector you can buy imo. i had one on my iPhone 3G, and got a new set for my 3GS back when Apple still offered them. so far, it seems like Clarivue is the only company offering something similar for the EVO. is this correct? or does someone know of another company that uses static cling? thanks!

Upvote 0
i'm not sure why most of you are suggesting using products which include a spray on solution for the screen protector to be applied. when you go to remove this, for whatever reason, you're left with sticky residue. static cling is the best type of screen protector you can buy imo. i had one on my iPhone 3G, and got a new set for my 3GS back when Apple still offered them. so far, it seems like Clarivue is the only company offering something similar for the EVO. is this correct? or does someone know of another company that uses static cling? thanks!

I've used both the 'spray on' clear shields and A LOT of the shields you soak in soapy water first before applying. Each time I remove any of these, there is no residue left. The only thing left is a build up of grime around where the edges of the product was. A little rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloth later it looks like new.

Static cling is junk. It doesn't sit as tight against the phone and has the tendency to come off.

Upvote 0
either invisible shield or phantom skinz for me. I also will probably use a holster for the first time. I think the screen is too large to be in my pocket.

Having used both, here's a big props for Phantom Skinz. The IS is too thick and affects touch performance and video quality too, although YMMV. Plus Phantom Skinz are MUCH easier to apply, although I see IS has a new easy applicator version now (still, I wouldn't use that because it sounds too much like a tampon! :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0

I recently removed my Invisible Shield on my Pre and there was zero residue.

Upvote 0
I've used both the 'spray on' clear shields and A LOT of the shields you soak in soapy water first before applying. Each time I remove any of these, there is no residue left. The only thing left is a build up of grime around where the edges of the product was. A little rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloth later it looks like new.

Static cling is junk. It doesn't sit as tight against the phone and has the tendency to come off.

highly disagree. like i've said, i used one on my iPhone 3G and have one currently on my 3GS and i'd recommend it to anyone. maybe you personally have a problem with them, but mine currently sits in an Incase hardshell case, with the static cling applied and there are no air bubbles, and it's never come off. these are actually generally hard to get off if you don't know how to remove them. the first time i tried to remove one was with my nail and it wouldn't budge. i had to use a credit card to get it up. so, it's not junk. and when i go to take this one off...there won't be a build up of "grime around where the edges of the product was". no spray on + no grime + static cling >>>>> spray on solution + left over grime

I recently removed my Invisible Shield on my Pre and there was zero residue.

welp, i'll stick with static cling. i shouldn't have to spray something onto my phone when i can use something else where i just lay it on and it stay put.

also, another added bonus...with a lot of those you use liquid with...you have to wait for it to dry. you don't have to do that with static cling. sooo, again, not sure why people would recommend something that uses a solution to be put on their phone and then have to sit and let dry for 2hrs, or 24hrs or however long, versus something you just put on and go :thinking:

Upvote 0
^ You're correct about the static cling feature...it does stay put and is difficult to remove...not impossible though. What I have on my 8900 uses static cling.

HOWEVER- That is not how the EVO screen protector will work.

From Clarivue's website for the EVO (this is for the privacy screen protector)

Products Features
Shield and Protect your HTC Evo 4G screen from scratches
LCD Screen will appear black when turned off
Privacy screen only allows you to view directly
Materials are manufactured in Japan
Anti-Scratch, Anti-Dust
Adhesive backing, screen protector adheres by glue (which I don't mind)
Custom designed to fit your HTC Evo 4G Screen
Quickly and Easily adhere directly to the screen

Upvote 0
and when i go to take this one off...there won't be a build up of "grime around where the edges of the product was". no spray on + no grime + static cling >>>>> spray on solution + left over grime

Of course you won't have grime build up because you have the innacase to cover up the edges of the screen. Get rid of the inncase and when you take that shield off, there will be a little ring of grime. Its not really a big deal

people would recommend something that uses a solution to be put on their phone and then have to sit and let dry for 2hrs, or 24hrs or however long, versus something you just put on and go :thinking:

Everytime I applied those to my Blackberry, I immediately turned on the device after without any issue. It may look a little 'cloudy' for an hour, but thats it.

Have you ever used one of the products you are bashing?

Upvote 0
Of course you won't have grime build up because you have the innacase to cover up the edges of the screen. Get rid of the inncase and when you take that shield off, there will be a little ring of grime. Its not really a big deal

Everytime I applied those to my Blackberry, I immediately turned on the device after without any issue. It may look a little 'cloudy' for an hour, but thats it.

Have you ever used one of the products you are bashing?

there's no bashing. i never said those spray solution screen protectors were crap. i just said static cling is better due to reviews i've read about them, as well as personal preference. please, someone...anyone...tell me you feel good about spraying something on your phone that is an electronic device. this is what deters me most.

to top it off, there are people that said these types leave residue behind. maybe it's because they used too much spray. whatever the cause, maybe it's because they did it wrong because it was their first time. i would be a first time user of said product, so that could happen to me. now, please tell me why i would try something new, where i could screw up, when i've never had issues with a current product? you know the old saying...don't fix it if it ain't broke!

even back to what you just said..."It may look a little 'cloudy' for an hour, but thats it." with static cling, there's no cloudiness for even 2 seconds. again, you put it on and done. easy peasy.

just seems like an easier, and quicker, solution versus those spray on screen protectors. so yes, i agree your solution may work...but i go with the quickest and easiest ;)

Upvote 0
^ You're correct about the static cling feature...it does stay put and is difficult to remove...not impossible though. What I have on my 8900 uses static cling.

HOWEVER- That is not how the EVO screen protector will work.

From Clarivue's website for the EVO (this is for the privacy screen protector)

Products Features
Shield and Protect your HTC Evo 4G screen from scratches
LCD Screen will appear black when turned off
Privacy screen only allows you to view directly
Materials are manufactured in Japan
Anti-Scratch, Anti-Dust
Adhesive backing, screen protector adheres by glue (which I don't mind)
Custom designed to fit your HTC Evo 4G Screen
Quickly and Easily adhere directly to the screen

uh, i won't use a privacy screen protector. i'll be getting the Ultra-clear

from Clarivue's website:
Will the screen protectors leave a sticky residue?
Our Ultra-Clear, Anti-Glare and Mirror screen protectors will not leave a sticky residue once removed. Our Privacy screen protectors have glue adhesive on the back and will leave sticky residue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones