• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Name 5 things I should know about an Android smartphone

Hey!

I'm a newbee to this forum and to smartphones. I just bought my first smartphone a little over a week ago. (YES! I had a flip phone for a decade or so until the end of Sept. What can I say--- I'm old remember.) Although I have gray hair I'm not intimidated by technology. I've spent most of my time the last 10 days learning and learning about my new Galaxy Note 3. I'm so impressed with the power of this small device!

To continue my learning process, I decided to join this forum. I found it as part of my web surfing on various Note 3 topics.

So my first question: Name 5 things I should know about an Android smartphone.

Thanks in advance.
-CG

Reactions: ocnbrze
Hello and welcome Capt Grayhair :)

OK, five things.

1. Your Note 3 is not "pure" Android it is Android with a "skin" over the top know as "TouchWiz" this is Samsung's own "skin" it has a lot of bells and whistles. People either love it or hate it.

2) There are other "Skins" such as on an HTC Android phone theirs is called "Sense". Pure unadulterated Android can be found on Google Nexus devices. Don't worry, they are all Android and any Android application will work with all of them (more or less).

3)You can make your device completely personal to you, adding wall papers, different fonts, different themes, have different Web browsers, different ringtones etc etc. Basically take two Samsung Galaxy Note 3's, personalised by their owners and they won't act like or look like the same device, the same goes for any Android phone.

4) You can download and install applications from other sources than the Google play store. An Android installation file is an ".Apk" file. Be careful of sites offering reams and reams of apk files for free, some can be malware. Most applications have a free version or a trial version and most cost around a dollar (or 70p for us in the UK). If you like the application, game or whatever, buy it. Your supporting the developer and you get rid of in application advertising (if you don't after paying - complain).

5) Get to know your phone by playing with it, if you have a question do a quick search of the forum and if you can't find the answer - ask. I think I speak for the majority of us here when I say we were all complete novices once (the pejorative term is a "newbie" or "noob"), donot be afraid to ask. Someone will know the answer and we are generally a friendly lot.

Lastly and not part of the list, read here, and don't stop reading, I haven't yet and I have been around quite a while now.

Reactions: spman and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hey!

I'm a newbee to this forum and to smartphones. I just bought my first smartphone a little over a week ago. (YES! I had a flip phone for a decade or so until the end of Sept. What can I say--- I'm old remember.) Although I have gray hair I'm not intimidated by technology. I've spent most of my time the last 10 days learning and learning about my new Galaxy Note 3. I'm so impressed with the power of this small device!

To continue my learning process, I decided to join this forum. I found it as part of my web surfing on various Note 3 topics.

Thanks in advance.
-CG
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!

wow your question is very general. what do you want to know? android is so customizable and you can do many things on your device.

are we talking about device specific information? like things only the note 3 can do? or are we talking about android in general?

if there is a specific task that you need to do there is most likely an app out there and you will most likely to find it in the play store.

here are my five anyways:
1. chromecast........it is a device you can get that will allow you to mirror certain apps to your tv wirelessly. super easy to use and super cheap ($35)

2.rooting allows you to break free from carrier restrictions and allows you to modify, delete, and change the software on your device.....but it is not for everyone and does take some researching before doing it.

3. google drive and google hangouts are great apps to use.
  • google drive is free and allows you to store things on the cloud without having to take up any space on your phone or tablet.....works great for pictures.
  • google hangout can be used as your main texting as well as video calls

4. on the note 3 the s pen is amazing. i use it to take notes on the fly for work or school. or even reminders or making grocery lists.

5. multi-window is pretty cool though i do not use it as much, but comes in handy when i need to check my bank statements and calender to write down when my bills need to be paid.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info & welcome.

Just did multi window for the first time the other day. That was cool. And I've put the S Pen to use since Day 1.

I've adapted pretty well to this device. I got the Note 3 for its size and so I could use the stylus.

I guess the biggest thing I miss is all the hot keys I use to move around my laptop screen. I REALLY WISH the Droid had a Ctrl + Home function that would allow me to jump to the top of webpages.

Upvote 0
Thanks Iterry93

I've Googled and Binged similar words as you suggest. I've found reference to Swipe (I think) keyboard which has arrow keys. Had not heard of Dolphin. I'll check em out.

I hadn't thought of searching this forum. Great suggestion.

Swype is a keyboard not a internet browser. I hope someone will come in if there is something like this for the built in browser.

he is talking about the swype keyboard that has arrow keys which i never noticed before.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info & welcome.

Just did multi window for the first time the other day. That was cool. And I've put the S Pen to use since Day 1.

I've adapted pretty well to this device. I got the Note 3 for its size and so I could use the stylus.

I guess the biggest thing I miss is all the hot keys I use to move around my laptop screen. I REALLY WISH the Droid had a Ctrl + Home function that would allow me to jump to the top of webpages.

I don't know if anything in System Settings>motions and gestures will help with the web site top of page issue or not...I highly recommend dolphin browser tho. Try a browser for free and see if you like it...I also found if you turn off java script setting in your browser of choice it makes it really fast and gets rid of a lot of pop ups etc...I only enable it if the site prompts me to.

Upvote 0
Hey!

Thanks in advance.
-CG

1st, Welcome to the forums!

2nd, Congratulations on joining the Android world.

3rd, Begin to open up your mind to new adventures you never thought could be accomplished with a portable device.

I'm really not sure if I could name just 5 things you "should" know about an Android smartphone. What I can say, without a doubt, is think about what you would hope the smartphone can do for you, and I'm sure the community can chip in to tell you if it's possible. I think this would be more productive for you to organize and use the device, the best way it's suited to serve your needs.

So, the one thing that you should know about an Android device is that, it can be set up to each individuals own needs, unlike any of the other OS (Operating Systems) in the market.

Upvote 0
First off welcome to carrying around a pocket oracle, or pocket computer - take your pick.

that what I call it. It has more process capability than the first 4 computers I've owned put together. and more storage space.

so my 5 things for you.

1) despite all you can do with a smartphone (regardless of flavor) you still need a real computer - and sadly it probably needs to be a windows computer at that. most interfaces and sync features etc are geared toward having a windows based computer to attach to

2) however, you can if willing, type documents, make spreadsheets, read almost any format play music, videos, etc etc all with a thing you can put in your pocket. that said, I remind people of how much of their personal data in on their smartphone. not just your data, but also your contacts data. so please for both your sakes - rig so a lock screen for your phone and setup up some basic security features on it.

I do this example for people occasionally - if I steal your phone, I can have your name, address, phone number, etc etc. - but I also have your friends info too - if I'm at a party with you guys I can take your phone - get their addresses and info - and tell some other people they are out of their house, and that the home is empty. so they can be robbed, because I stole your phone. I'd be in the clear because I don't know these people and couldn't have planed that. by the way, yes I'm that azzhole.

3) it's addicting. not facebook or what ever, I don't facebook. hate facebook - but having the info ready in your hand is addicting. other than just handy to use info - like what's the nearest good italian restaurant near me that isn't a chain. you also have those stats like who rushed for more yardage last year Alabama or Ohio State.

etc etc. so now every conversation can and will eventually turn into who can find what useless correction faster. OH and there's that usefull info too. I love knowing what's around me even in my home town.

4) if you are like me - there will come a day when you miss your flip phone. I know it's hard to believe but you will. I do. not that I hate carting around my note 3 - I actually like it. and I had to go big instead of small and thin becuase it works better for typing and other BS. but honestly, if pressed it sucks as a phone. BT headset or not, speaker phone or not, don't care it sucks as a phone - compared to the older flip phone.

5) all that said you'll still feel naked without it. did I mention having all that info is addicting? you will get used to using the voice to text feature more than anything. again if you are like me. it's just handy to be able to dictate to the phone. Hell I've used my phone to type up a letter - by dictating to it while driving across town. then downloaded to my work computer - re editied (had to do that) and I was done.

That's the power of the smartphone, but like all powers. use it judiciously.

Upvote 0
After giving my initial response, I was thinking of a way to truly sum up everything that you can possibly do and then remembered that Phandroid has had quite a few helpful articles over the past few years that I think could serve "new" android users well. I'd suggest all of the below-referenced articles:

Android 101 - Getting Started Guide
Getting started with Android: 9 things to do

Good way to protect your Google account, if you're not diligent about checking on it:
How to setup 2-step verification to secure your Gmail account

Great for when first setting up your Android Phone (or even when you've already set it up, with exception to your notifications)
Android 101: How to Use Any Audio File as a Notification Sound [Video]

40+ Recommended Apps:
40+ Apps for new Android users

Helpful hints on tools that may not be used regularly, but could possibly help make the phone work for you even more efficiently:
Android 101: Shortcuts - what they are, and how they work

If you drive a lot, this tool is very handy:
How to find your parked car with an Android phone

Good to know, once you've gotten familiar with Google Now and all the different functions:
How to sideload and install Android applications [ANDROID 101]

If the phone just doesn't seem to be working right, this is something to always know how to do:
How to factory reset an android phone

If you want to keep up to date on Android News and/or tips and tricks, you can subscribe to the Phandroid Newsletter:
Subscribe to Phandroid in Google Play Newsstand!

Upvote 0
shortcuts link was awesome - never thought to look for that.

Yeah. The Phandroid staff has put up some awesome articles that ended up adding to my Android experience over the years. Best thing is, there are new apps and new customizations that continue to help me refine how I use my Android devices. Even if I get set on one configuration that seems "perfect" for my needs, something new comes up that allows me to eliminate an additional app because the new method is better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones