• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nand backup or Nand + ext backup

I rooted using the one click method (thanks JCase).

Went to make my first Nand backup and see options for Nand backup, but also Nand + ext backup.

What's the difference, and which should I do?

Use Nand+ext only if you have a partitioned SD card and are using A2SD (or apps2sd, however you would like to call it); otherwise, for a non-A2SD ROM, just use "Nand".

The backup folders get named differently - the Nand backups start with BDS- and the Nand+ext backups start with BDES-

eu1

Upvote 0
Use Nand+ext only if you have a partitioned SD card and are using A2SD (or apps2sd, however you would like to call it); otherwise, for a non-A2SD ROM, just use "Nand".

The backup folders get named differently - the Nand backups start with BDS- and the Nand+ext backups start with BDES-

eu1

Thanks eu1. You have tremendous patience and serve as an outstanding educator. :) I think I'll try this method the next time I backup my info. I have partitioned my SD card and didn't realize how to properly save a nand until now.

Upvote 0
If I do a nand + ext backup, change my SD card, copy everything back from my old SD card onto new SD card, and do a nand + ext restore, will my Apps2SD partition still be there, or will I have to repartition?

If I am not mistaken, the partition must already exist. Nandroid restore will not create partitions on the fly. So, procedure would be mount the new SD, from Amon's recovery partition the card, probably run the convert ext2->ext3, then copy all of your stuff back to the SD card's main FAT32 partition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones