• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nand backup problems

I just had the same problem, except I'm trying to MAKE a nand backup. I plugged the phone in and still getting error. I'm running Evil Eris 2.0.1. Any help?

There is a menu item in Amon_RA's recovery which is something like "copy recovery.log to SD". (It might be under the "Other" menu - I can't remember at the moment)

Go ahead and do that, and then open up that text file (from your PC if you like), and look at the recovery log. Chances are the error which caused the problem will be immediately apparent - it will be towards the end of the file.

If you are using adb with the Amon_RA recovery console running, rather than copying the log file to the SD card, you could just look at it this way:

$ adb shell
# more /cache/recovery/log

eu1

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I actually think it was probably the spaces, since my battery was well over 50%. I had just renamed the backup...

That happened to me once running a nand back up.

I surmised that my renaming of the back up did not include a correct character string, so I named it back to the date and time format that nand back ups use and everything went well after that.

Now I just rename them on paper right next to the original nand back up name: ~6271437 = Evil Eris unclocked, etc.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I did a Nandroid backup yesterday and got the same error as cableguynoe... I had full battery, plenty of space on my /sdcard. I just re-ran the backup and it worked fine.

I did not check the recovery log though, so I don't really know what happened.

I did check what (first/failed) Nandroid did create in its backup directory and noticed that the only file it did not create was the nandroid.md5 file.

Upvote 0
I am having a different problem with restoring a nand, everything goes fine, but when it boots up it is the nand that I saved?

If you get familiar with your files in the device, you'll learn a lot, my friend.

Connect your usb cable to the computer and device and set it to "disc drive," then scroll around in there.

In the "nandroid" folder you'll see your backup files. The number designation of them is a date and time of creating them (utc time I believe.. it is about 6 hours ahead of U.S. Central time, so I surmise it is utc.. could be mistaken).

Anyway, the latest one obviously has the most recent date and time; that's very likely the one you're running as long as you rebooted at the prompt to do so right after creating the nand back up.

Upvote 0
If you get familiar with your files in the device, you'll learn a lot, my friend.

Connect your usb cable to the computer and device and set it to "disc drive," then scroll around in there.

In the "nandroid" folder you'll see your backup files. The number designation of them is a date and time of creating them (utc time I believe.. it is about 6 hours ahead of U.S. Central time, so I surmise it is utc.. could be mistaken).

Anyway, the latest one obviously has the most recent date and time; that's very likely the one you're running as long as you rebooted at the prompt to do so right after creating the nand back up.

I think you misinterpreted me. thanks tho

Upvote 0
Darn, I apologize. What did you mean in your question?

Actually I just went back and looked at my post and I mis typed. Sorry about that:cool:

my problem is this.
I have a bunch of NAND back-ups I slimmed it down to 10 right now.
I name that right after doing a back-up So I know what one it is and not to get things messed up.
I did a fresh nand for Eris Official just set up no apps just a fresh nand. renamed it, then continued working on the ROM getting my apps and everything set up, and then made a new NAND of this one set up to my liking.
I then switched to the new froyo to check that out.
and here now lies my problem, after all this I went to NAND back to the back-up I did earlier of Eris Official with everything set up.
problem being, it was the nand of the one I did of the fresh set up.
And I know i didnt mess up renaming them because I do it right after doing a nand so its impossible because I tried the other one just to make sure i didnt mess up and it was the same thing,(well this one is actually correct)

Upvote 0
reboot into recovery (turn off phone, turn back on by holding vol down and power at same time)
go to Backup/Restore(choose this by pressing in the trackball)
then choose Nandroid backup(this backs up your current ROM set-up-this does everything, even txt msgs, applications, every set up.
nand restore will restore the back up

Upvote 0
reboot into recovery (turn off phone, turn back on by holding vol down and power at same time)
go to Backup/Restore(choose this by pressing in the trackball)
then choose Nandroid backup(this backs up your current ROM set-up-this does everything, even txt msgs, applications, every set up.
nand restore will restore the back up
its not vol up and pwr?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones