1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

NAND backup question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RAFdude, Feb 14, 2011.

1. RAFdude

RAFdude Lurker

Each time a ClockworkMod backup is made does it overwrite the previous backup or give an option to restore from? Thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast

Although I do not use Clockwork, I know it will not overwrite previous backups. Be careful making too many backups, however, because they take up a lot of space on your SD card.

RAFdude likes this.
  3. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

CW creates a separate backup each time you create one, organized by date.

RAFdude likes this.
  4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

I assume that you restore a nand backup differently with CW than the process for flashing a ROM? I noticed the ROMS I downloaded are zip files and the NAND I have is not.

Sorry, noob question but I figure it fits the thread.

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Flashable zip files are basically packages that include whatever files the developer wishes to replace along with a script. That script tells recovery what to do with those files. Those files can be every from all system and boot files (basically, a ROM) to just a few framework files (mods, themes, etc.). Really, it's just a method of modifying or replacing an existing system.

A nandroid backup is completely different. It is taking a snapshot of your system exactly the way it is. That includes all partitions including all system and boot files, but also data, etc. These files are in a certain format. Recovery will not discern what files to replace, etc. like a flashable zip. There is no script. These files are strictly image files that recovery uses to replaces entire partitions. Therefore, when you restore a backup, you're replacing everything that was done since the backup. Always remember, flashable zips and nandroid backups are completely different. To restore a nandroid backup, use the restore option. Do not attempt to search for it via the install/flash zip menu.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews