• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NAND backup/restore question

darkside

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2010
Good Ol' Colorado
So I just flashed the Alysious (mispelled i know) rom and i'm always reading everyone saying to do a NAND backup, but what i'm wondering is when you try to restore your backup, does it only restore it from the rom that you backed it up on? So when i flash a new rom and it has to do a full wipe, you have to redownload all of the apps and stuff right? Unless you have apps2sd i'm guessing.

Any help or a quick explanation would really help.lol Thanks in advance

when you do a NAND Back-up it will back up everything.. apps, everything, it will even keep txt msgs that you have the point of backing up the ROM, so when you go to restore it everything is the way you left it from the back-up point. so no you dont have to have apps2sd. So that is why you do a NAND for everything, I personally on my computer have every ROM downloaded, and I have a NAND of just about every ROM from certain points, every one is different, do what you feel you need. I like to back up eveything. hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I guess I should put this in here. I must be an idiot at this, but it is my first time doing all of this. I have Evil Eris on my phone now. I partially set it up.. enough to go back to anyways. I want to try some of the other ones out there too, but I am missing something. I go to Nand backup and it backs up completely, but I do not see how I can have each one backed up? When I hit restore, I only have the original one I had before I put on EE. It was what was there before I rooted. No EE 3.01 listed anywhere??? Any help?

Nevermind... I think I finally figured it out.

Upvote 0
I've been searching, I understand what Nand backup is (full backup/ apps with all data at time of the backup)

but what is the Nand + ext exactly do?

I *believe* that it adds the backup of your ext partition (in a tar file) that you are using for apps storage if you are using apps2sd. What is different from a BART backup I am not sure, but that is what I believe it does - (so, it allows you to Nand restore apps to the ext SD partition if you have apps stored there.)

Upvote 0
You can have multiple backups. I rename them, to describe what they are. They usually look something like BDS-20100720-1342 (UTC date and time stamp, it seems). I rename them to something like "kaos.froyo.v23-20100718-latest". Just make sure that you do not put spaces in the name and you should be all set.

Reactions: LED
Upvote 0
The backups are stored in a folder with your device ID, which is inside a folder called nandroid, on your SD card, as a "by the way".

Yes, it will list all of the nandroid backups that it can see when you go to restore. You move down with the trackball and press the trackball to choose the one which you want to restore. Just remember to do a Dalvik wipe and a factory/data reset wipe from the wipe menu before you restore an image.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones