1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root nand backup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lagos, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I just rooted my phone last night. Before flashing my first custom rom I did a nand backup and I have some questions as to what exactly this backs up?

Im assuming that this created a backup of my factory rom, correct? So if at any point in time I wish to go back to the stock rom, I just need to restore the nand backup and I will be all set?

Also when flashing from one custom rom the next, I don't have to do new nand backups because I still have my original rom backup that I can always go back to, right? I just need to wipe and load the new rom.

Advertisement

2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

If you took a nand backup of your phone before changing ROMs, then yes you can go back to that. There will be a file on your SD Card. You should probably change the name of those files so you know what the back up is.

Do you have to take a nand backup? No, but it's always a good idea in case something goes wrong with flashing the new ROM. That way you can always go back if need be.

In my Nandroid folder, I think I have backups of 3 different ROMs.

3. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    If you tried and rom and didn't like it, don't do a nand backup. If you tried a rom, like it, but still want to try another - do nand backup of the one you like. That way if you don't like the 'new' one it easy to restore to the one you liked previously. Like BS (sorry :) ) above, I keep multiple nand backups around of my favorite roms so that I can easily go back to them.

4. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010

Oh I see! So it does an actual state backup so that my rom will be backed up along with all the user settings and apps that I installed....right?

5. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Correct. You're backing up ALL data on the phone at it's current state - not just the ROM. When you restore the phone looks just like it did at the time of backup.

6. Yes, that's the beauty of nand backup and restore.

Be careful in renaming the backup file, though; stick with the same format.. but if you do mess it up and get error messages when trying to restore it, you can go back and re-re-name it to its original terminology (that happened to me in my early days of rooting ;)) and it will work fine.

These days I just write down the stock name of the file and make notes about what it is.