1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root NAND Unlock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jpvonhemel, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jpvonhemel

jpvonhemel Member

Apr 20, 2010
    When NAND unlock is finally released, is it likely we will need to boot into recovery again or will it be application based only requiring root permissions? I know we truly won't know until it is done, but based on past NAND unlocks, which is it likely to be?

Advertisement

2. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Vernon, CT
    Based on past locks, you will be able to use an application like RootExplorer to mount the /system as R/W and you can change files on the fly. Currently you are able to change the /system to R/W using RootExplorer, but when you commit the changes the phone reboots since the mount was read only.

3. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Radio Shack
    i think he means to apply the hack. i think he is asking if we have to do it in recovery or is it going to be app based.

4. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Vernon, CT
    Ah, my mistake

Their twitter page is a bit vague on what exactly needs to be done, all we know so far is that the phone does need to be rooted prior to using their utility. I believe we will need to apply their patch through recovery mode again as it will probably be changing system files.

Purely speculation though.

5. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    ahhh...that sucks. that is the only hard part! took me two days!

6. mgraham

mgraham Active Member

May 6, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, good question by the threadstarter and I have been wondering the same. I was able to root my phone, but I haven't been able to get the shell again since.

7. doug piston

doug piston Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    as it is right now, if you have root already no adb recovery will be required to finish the root process

mgraham likes this.
  8. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Electrical engineer
    coldwater,mi
    sweet, yeah I just finally got mine rooted after a week of trying , I tired duplicating it so such luck:(