• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nandroid Backup + A Replacement EVO

If I backup my current fresh Rom via nandroid to my SD card and get my replacement phone and root the new phone, put the SD card with my backup on it and do a restore will it go back to all my old settings, etc?

Thanks

I am not sure about this but I dont think that would be possible since you would need to have the phone rooted in order to access recovery and flash roms.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but thanks for the link. Just downgraded my phone with the RUU image back to stock to swap it out with the "new" phone tomorrow. hope i get a novatec.

Later.

Lorax,

Sorry to say but the answer is no, it will not work. You would think it should, at least in theory but I put it to the test last week.

A nandroid backup to my knowledge is non-transferable. There must be specific info in the nand backup tying it to a specific device.

I was running fresh 0.3 on a device. Created nand backup, exchanged the device. Then did a new full root on the new device, flashed the 0.3 fresh rom and attempted a nand restore from the same backup. No dice, it will not work.

You're better off to use something like titanium backup, I assume you are mainly attempting to back up your apps. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Alright well then I won't even try. I don't even care cuz now my phone seems flawless (for the time being. i hope my volume keys don't get shitty & loose again.)

I got a hardware 003 version and it looks like i have the novatel screen (power control widget dims gradually instead of instantly changing brightness like my last 003 phone) so all is good in the jungle.

already rooted running fresh 0.5.3 and the OTA update was not pre-installed to the phone. used simple root .2 --- cool.

Upvote 0
It's true, that nandroid does infact use a method of making the backups tied to a specific device, but its not as complicated as you would think.

Now I did this with an Eris, but it should work for you as well.

I nandbacked up my broken eris (cracked screen), transfered the sd card to the new phone, and booted up the phone in recovery mode.

Then I backed up the new phone once. This will create a new folder with the new phones Serial number as the name of it.

Now boot up normally and mount the sd card as a disk drive.

In the sdcard, go into the nandroid folder and you should see two folders. Look at the old phones serial number and copy the backup from there to the new serial number folder.

then just run a nand backup like normal, selecting the right one from the list!

All done! Hope that helps!

This is my first post- Love what you guys here are doin!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones