1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nandroid Backup and APP2SD Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mai8ko, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mai8ko

mai8ko Well-Known Member

Running OA, utiizing APP2SD, and on CWM 5.2.8 (duh), every time I try to do a backup I get this message:
    "Could not mount SD-EXT. SD-EXT Backup may not be supported on this device. Skipping backup of SD-EXT"
    Now, I've read of A2SD causing some flip-ups with backup. Does this have to do with the partition format? I've got it as a primary FAT32, as it had been suggested to do in some forum (don't remember where) regarding app2sd; however, that forum may not have taken cwm backup into consideration! So: how do I get around this? Do I have to reformat the partition to EXT4 or 3? I only have some high-density apps in there- no system apps, so it's no biggie if I gotta get everything off the partition to reformat it. I really just want to do a solid backup so that I can fiddle around with settings without losing my current setup. I got everything just the way I like it and I'll be damned to lose all my settings just because I wanna experiment outta curiosity. Shit man, I hope to help you guys out one day by being a tester or something at least! But I need to learn how to make a decent backup before anything else. Thanx again, you guys are the $#!+!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

The backup should still go through even if it doesn't backup your sd-ext.

mai8ko likes this.
  3. mai8ko

mai8ko Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll give it a try dude. A little nervous, I won't lie. If I flash another rom that I'm not happy with, should I flash to stock before trying to get my backup again?

4. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

Nah it doesn't matter what rom you're on when restoring a backup as long as you have the correct cwm installed.

5. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

i always get the sd-ext crud, its never a problem so i never looked into so i dont even know what it is lol

6. mai8ko

mai8ko Well-Known Member

Oh, one last question then I'll stop: do I wipe data, cache partition, and dalvik cache--then format system, data, and cache before trying to restore a backup? or do I just go straight to restore regardless of whatever rom I may have switched to? I know that this is a totally annoying question that you guys have prolly answered 1000 times, but I only ask because in reading about flashing new roms, a lot of them recommend doing the preceding steps before flashing the rom. I know that restoring a backup is different, but just wanted to clear that up so I could get a little crazy w/ my admire. These things get a little confusing for someone whose ass is the same thing as their elbow in the world of android... and without a clear guide it can be a little scary at times, especially when you don't have $$ to spend on a new phone and your warranty's already up! I'm sure you guys have been there and done that looong time ago- and now you're paving the way for the next generation.:adore:

7. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

I'm actually not sure about the backup thing. I think when you restore it just completely overwrites your system, but just wipe everything just incase. Also wipe cache partition is the same thing as formating cache lol same thing goes for wipe data/factory reset. So just wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache parition, wipe the dalvik cache and format system. And besides. As long as you can go into download mode it doesnt matter what you do to your admire in terms of flashing lol

mai8ko likes this.
  8. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

Man i remember when i was a noob to androids. My first phone was an ascend and i didn't know jack didily about anything lol but now i pretty much know the basics because I searched and read almost every thread. If noobs would do that now it would save a lot of time.

Samsung Admire Forum

The Samsung Admire release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1600mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews