1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

nandroid backup folder

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oldpot, Sep 4, 2011.

1. oldpot

oldpot Newbie

when you make a nandroid backup file can you rename the folder to what you want (like firstbackup) or leave it like it is with all the numbers etc .
    ty

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tickerguy

tickerguy Android Enthusiast

Usually. The general rule is NO SPACES in the name.

If you screw it up you'll know - it won't restore. The SAFE thing to do is only add an alphanumeric suffix.

3. oldpot

oldpot Newbie

ty tickerguy and you going a great job in the cm7 ty again
    quick question i not put the cm7 on yet but when i do how do you restore nandroid backup??? if want to get back to how it was .
    ty

4. tickerguy

tickerguy Android Enthusiast

Make a Nandroid of the original stock system before you begin and make sure you don't delete it!

5. Mr_Coffee

Mr_Coffee Member

I changed my nandroid backups to names like, "Stock_Rom", CM7v1, CM7v2, etc....and it worked.

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Just a heads-up guys, you are absolutely right about not wanting to use spaces and should only stick to "regular" alphanumerics (letters, numbers, dashes, underscores).

There are some other characters that can cause the Nandroid backup name to be mis-interpreted (asterisks, ampersands, etc.). These were problematic in older versions of Android custom recoveries where a shell was used to invoke the nandroid-mobile.sh script and the wonky characters would cause the shell to interpret (and possibly change) what was intended as the filename (i.e., a space would cause the name to be truncated early at that character). Newer versions of the custom recoveries (like more recent ClockworkMods) are written in C and do not invoke the backup via a shell, but you'd be best advised to keep the names as simple as can be.

The Nandroid backup would fail not because it was bad, but because the md5sum utility could not re-calcuate the MD5 checksum because it couldn't properly resolve the filename.

Hope that helps :).

Cheers!

7. oldpot

oldpot Newbie

thank you all for your comments i might try the cm7 today :)

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews