1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Nandroid Backup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pothers, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Male
    Devon, UK
    Sh*t, Just flashing LD 3.1.6 and I didn't take a nandroid backup.:eek:. Oh well to late now

Advertisement

2. paulrh

paulrh Member
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Not the UK
    How do you do a Nandroid backup? What program do you need to do it? I have Googled "Nandroid" and nothing that came back made sense. What does a Nandroid backup do?

At the weekend (my weekends are Friday and Saturday) I flashed ARHD 5.1.10. I installed all my original paid apps including Titanium Backup with which I made a full backup. All was well until I screwed around trying to get a particular app on Market to show up and left the phone with the backlight on and an empty screen.

I re-flashed ARHD 5.1.10 and upon reboot I had all my apps installed and ready to use. Was this because of the Google backup to the "cloud" or was it because of an automatically running script built in TB?

As you can see I am a little confused with what is happening. Anyone explain what is going on?

By the way, if you want stock GB I suggest you flash ARHD 5.1.10. No difference but with all the advantages of root plus tweaks.

Is there an app that tells the missus how much you love her but until you get it sorted the mobile phone comes first? :(

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's the backup you take of your current ROM before flashing a new on in clockwork.

From my limited understanding (I could be wrong) you have 3 partitions on your phones internal memory. Data, Cache and System. System contains the OS & Kernel, Cache contains the davlik cache and Data contains your downloaded apps and all data associated with these apps.

Unless you perform a factory reset in clockwork when you perform an update to your current ROM, it doesn't look at/amend the data partition, meaning all apps you've downloaded and any data you have is untouched and usable when your updated ROM is loaded.

Because of the way Sense and AOSP ROMs handle the data partition, you are generally required to perform a factory reset if you're flitting between the 2. However, it's not always 100% necessary when you want to go from one Sense based ROM to another.

So, to answer your question, because you flashed from ARHD to ARHD, all your apps would have been untouched.

It's worth noting that I'm a relative noob to the flashing/rooting process so the above is just my understanding, I'll quite happily stand corrected.

LeeDroid HD is similar.

:D I'm not aware of one, but if you find one, post here as I'm sure my lady would appreciate it too.

Aye, I did the same :eek:

4. paulrh

paulrh Member
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Not the UK

Because of the way Sense and AOSP ROMs handle the data partition, you are generally required to perform a factory reset if you're flitting between the 2. However, it's not always 100% necessary when you want to go from one Sense based ROM to another.

So, to answer your question, because you flashed from ARHD to ARHD, all your apps would have been untouched.

Unquote

This makes sense as I did not perform a wipe between the initial "full install"" and just flashing the same ARHD ROM.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Yeah, since you were flashing the exact same ROM, there was no problem. Had you been flashing a minor update to the same ROM, I would've done a wipe of your cache too. Obviously major rom changes require a full wipe.

EDIT: Also, I moved this to it's own discussion. No need to get the other thread off topic :)

paulrh likes this.
  6. sandeep89

sandeep89 Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    when you're inside the clockworkmod recovery and go to backup and restore, youll see 'nandroid' written as the header at the top of the screen. nandroid backups are complete backups of the current state of your phone - saved onto your sd card which is safe from flashing custom roms - and you can use the restore part to either bring your phone back to a previously saved backup.

sandeep

7. sumyt

sumyt Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    Y I can't see any word "nandroid" at my DHD recovery mode ?? I can't make a nandroid or full backup of current Rom ?? Bt I successfully backup my other Rom which is my first custom Rom for my DHD ... And I cant seem to make any backup of my phone again for other Rom..it shows "everytime" that /android_secure backup failed.. I have many many apps and games in my phone .. the /android_secure size is about 4gb .. bt i have my SD card 10gb space before performing a backup... Can someone help me to solve

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Doing a ROM backup in clockwork recovery is the same thing as a nandroid backup (named so because your rom is stored on 'nand' memory).

What are you backing up for? You could probably get away with backing up your apps with titanium backup, depending on what you're doing - that will backup /android_secure.