• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nandroid Boot

stvcsk

Nov 9, 2009
I have successfully rooted my Hero (confirmed by su method in Terminal Emulator) and have flashed the recovery image (I assume it's right, it just echoed what I had typed). I tried "reboot recovery" and all that did was reset the device, with a quick flash on the HTC screen, then it died. Same happened when I tried this as su from the terminal on the device. I had to pull the battery to restart it, and this was replicated several times.

No other method to get into recovery worked either.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I have asked and another person a couple up also asked - Did you or did you not turn off the phone, then hold the power button and home buttons at the same time?? If you did, what happened, if you didn't how come you didn't? He asked you to try it and you responded that you tried the vol. buttons. Turn off the phone, hold the power and home buttons down until you get pass the HTC screen and get into the boot screen.

Upvote 0
I dont think you pushed the recovery flash file into it yet.
Did you do

adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/
then when you are at the $ sign
$ su
# cd /sdcard/
# flash_image recovery recover-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
# reboot recovery

Try that then

Then you could try holding down hold & power while your phone is off to see if that works..

Upvote 0
Just re-rooted... here is exactly what I typed into the terminal (the recovery img was already on the sd card) and the response

Code:
C:\root\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
 [+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout
Opening: /proc/1078/fd/3
SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /system/bin
cd /system/bin
# cat sh>su
cat sh>su
# chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
# rebbot recovery
rebbot recovery
rebbot: not found
# reboot recovery
reboot recovery

C:\root\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Once I hit enter, the phone reset, very quickly flashed the HTC splash screen, then shut down and wouldn't restart. I had to pull the battery again. Hitting home + power brought up the same screen as last time, but I figured out what SEND was and didn't reset the phone.

Ideas?

Upvote 0
The recovery bootloader should spawn when you hold Volume-down + Power, Home + Power is a different monster.

You should get a boot screen showing the little android guy on a skateboard, with an option to hit 'Home' for recovery mode. This is how I've been entering that image, and it's always worked flawlessly. It appears you've done everything properly as far as I can tell.

You may want to re-download and re-flash the recovery image as well - if you happened to get a partial image or the downloaded file was corrupted, the phone isn't going to complain. It'll happily flash whatever data you throw at it, regardless of whether it's actually valid.

Upvote 0
Right... I got to that screen (just got there again), and once I hit home, it goes to the HTC splash for a second, then shuts off... again, battery pull is the only remedy.

[edit] I've also re-downloaded and re-pushed and re-flashed the thing a million times.

[edit 2] Just tried the vol-down + power on again, got to the screen, hit home, and now it's just stuck on the HTC splash

Upvote 0
WOOOOOOOOOOO.... FINALLY got it to work... literally it took a million tries, and I realized that after trying to delete and start w/a new fresh dl, I had not downloaded the CDMA version. After I re-downloaded it for the millionth time, I re-flashed it, and BOOM, reboot recovery worked.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Upvote 0
I downloaded this file from the How to root the CDMA Hero thread. I would follow everyone's advice and delete the image file you have off of your sdcard, then re-push/copy and re-image it using your new image file.

I can't find the checksum value for that file, but I believe it is a 3.16 MB file, whereas the first file I used was a 3.14 MB file. Somehow, when I was downloading everything, my image file got corrupted, and as was pointed out above, the phone will flash whatever you point it at.

Steve

Upvote 0
Hi
where do I find this command "flash_image" ?

currently , when i run flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img

i get flash_image command not found.

i guess, i missed some thing. any advice ?

On your rooted Sprint HTC Hero you can install an app called Terminal Emulator. When you run it you can type "su" and then get a pound sign (#) after you hit enter. Then type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img" without the quotes and then hit enter. You must make sure that the file "recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img" is in the root directory of your microSD card.

After that you can type "reboot recovery" without the quotes and hit enter. All of these steps should flash the recovery image and reboot your handset into recovery mode for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones