1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Nandroid Problems/Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spyder, Jun 10, 2011.

1. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Attempting to be brief:(which I stink at, but I'll try....lol)

1. I have the Ascend w/ CM7 installed, along with I have flashed DT'2 A2SD (SO SO much better than the "Move to SD Button")
    2. Obviously in order to apply DT A2SD you need to partition the SD Card with an EXT partition
    3. ClockWork Recovery 3.0.0.5 is installed.
    4. Ran "Back-Up" to create a good back-up for the system.
    5. Everything went as normal, till the last several lines, here was the output:

* Failed to mount /sd-ext (No Such Device)
    * Could not mount Sd-Ext

* SD-EXT Back-up may not be supported on this device
    * Skipping back-up of SD-EXT

First correct me if I'm wrong- a2sd puts ALL the apps on the EXT, so without that being part of the back-up, the apps are not there and it is useless.

OK, that was the MAIN and first part, I do have a second, simple question regarding Nandroid Backups, as I have Never had to restore to one, and the one time I tried was a failure:

IF I have a "GOOD" Nandroid Backup. DO I:
    1. Have to have the ROM flashed/installed BEFORE running the recovery
    2. OR, no matter what ROM will it re-flash or redo everyting to mirror the installation when the backup was done.
    3. I am guessing that I have the proper ROM in place, and the phone as clean as possible.

That's on on this issue, just a quick overview of that. I've read my butt off on this but am a little off on the little details.

AS A FINAL THOUGHT: I could have sworn that when I had ICARUS on the phone, I was able to take Nandroid Backups, that that was by default including the EXT and DT's A2SD.
    OK. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As a result of a previous "same" situatoin, I had to rebuild the phone back-up from bare bones. (Did Have Tit BU really helped out), worth $$ to have all the dropbox capability, etc.
    OK...THANKS AGAIN and I look forward to some input....
    Best Regards,
    Jeff

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Jeff,

I've moved your thread to the all-things-root sub-forum... Hopefully, you'll get more views and responses there.

Good luck!

3. JBAndroid

JBAndroid Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Housewife
    Altamonte Springs, Fl
    I am receiving an error while attempting to create a nandroid backup as well, although mine is a different issue. I get an error saying (something along the lines of) cannot find userdata2, can't mount /datadata. I've looked and looked and cannot find anyone talking about this issue, and (obviously) have no clue what's causing it. Would greatly appreciate tips or suggestions on how to fix this, as I am worried my backup is not complete while experiencing this issue.

Sojust to check to see if my above mentioned "worrying" was necessary, I just tried to restore one of the failed nandroid backups that have been created, and I get md5 mismatch on all 3 of the backup files listed. So as said before... Help, please. I do not want to proceed with flashing cm7 until I know I have a complete nandroid backup.. Ya know just in case...

4. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Doesn't pay enough
    The Gate
    I know that you can run into issues when trying to restore nandroid backups created from a different version of CWM than your current one, but I can't remember ever seeing the directory /datadata as one being backed up when doing a nandroid backup on an Ascend M860. I have, however, seen that directory on my HTC Droid Incredible during backup/restore.

Have you tried reflashing CWM on your phone to see if maybe that fixes the nandroid backup issue?