• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root nandroid vz update.zip???

toker11

Nov 16, 2009
i guess im confused with these 2...im new at this and am trying to learn and its making me love this site and my droid all over again. i watched the videos and got my droid to the smoked glass 4.5. i love it but it hasnt itched my scratch yet. i want wifi tethering and live wallpapers. im reading that some of these ROMS have them. anyone know which one has both of these? and what is the difference between a nandroid backup and an update.zip? sorry if these are very noob questions. any help in appreciated guys!

As a word of advice concerning the update.zip vs nandroid installation methods:

Whenever a new rom version is released, one seems to work better than the other. I generally check the last few pages in the forum where you can download bugless beast to get feedback from other user's experiences.

I used nandroid consistently without fail, but one version of bugless beast had some problems (initially) with the nandroid backup. Luckily, I read what people were saying, and went with the update.zip method, and it worked well.

Generally, I prefer to use nandroid. It's a cleaner installation, though it requires some additional steps to restore your data. My best advice is to read up until your eyes bleed then read some more.

Reactions: ccousinsjr
Upvote 0
That's a matter of preference, for comparison sake I will say that the v0.4 release is the bleeding edge, as it's 2.1 based. That said, 1.1 may be more stable, as it's been under development for a longer period of time.

This is speculation, since I don't have either one installed right now. Look at the feedback and feature sets of both and decide for yourself!

Upvote 0
how do i go about putting that on my phone? i thought i had 0.7.8 on my phone and was running pretty stable...come to find out its all messed up. so im guna unroot and redo it. or try to at least. i may just go back to smoked glass 4.5. can i put the tethering on there? the live wallpapers werent all they are cracked up to be...

Upvote 0
Another great thing about Nandroid is that you can load a ROM like BB or Sholes clean.... then when you've installed and configured everything you want and have decided it's stable and gold you can create a Nandroid backup of that setup. Load up a completely different ROM and do the same thing all over again. If you ever want to use another custom build that you've created all you have to do is load it back in and off you go... ;)

I think I have 10 different builds that ive done... all stable and all different. The best thing is Nandroid is easy to use... once you get over the initial shock of what your doing it's like breathing... something you do without even thinking about it.

It's totally enhanced my enjoyment of the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones