• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nandroid

I believe the recovery mode for HTC handsets differ from Samsungs. Does nandroid even work with the Behold II.

Okay so you're saying nandroid is for HTC handsets only, the references I've seen in forums fall under HTC discussions. My bust! But if nandroid is for HTC, what does Samsung use? I know you can use ODIN to get back to stock with ODIN files, but is there anything to make a backup of the current state of your phone? Like backing up your computer. That way you don't have to redownload all your apps, contacts, calendar....ect.:thinking:

Upvote 0
What if we just flashed a Galaxy ROM?

Ok, here are kam's steps for the Galaxy that I just shamelessly ripped off.

- Copy the system.img onto the root of your sdcard (mount it in windows, and drop it over)

- Boot into recovery

- open an adb shell
# adb shell

- remount system read/write
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

- erase the system partition
# rm -rf /system/*

- Extract the system image:
# cd /system/
# unyaffs /sdcard/system.img

The boot images are identical, so there's no need to flash that over. You probably want to do a factory reset first to clear out your data partition etc. You can take a nandroid backup first of course in case you want to revert back.

Here's the img-
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Ok, we need someone to try this. Since you won't mess with the radio, it's unlikely you'll screw it up, but I'm not responsible if you do. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Behold 2. Does someone want to take the brave first non-rooting steps into Behold 2 dev?

I suspect that this will work, its the exact same phone save some internal storage and a cube button.

I found this reference to nandroid here in the Behold 2 forums under a dissusion labeled "What if we just flashed a Galaxy ROM?". I don't know how valid it is?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones