1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nandroiding with Apps2SD (or not)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Scotlac, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Hi guys,

This is kind of a convoluted question but I'll try to make it as clear as possible. Basically I posted here the other day with an issue that I've been having.

The long and short of it was that within a few days of flashing ROM's would become bogged down and unusable. Flashing a new kernel might help for a day or two but ultimately I would have to flash a new ROM which would just bog down again after a few days.

I started thinking that maybe it was an app or possibly my phone didn't like DT's A2SD. So to test I ended up wiping and unpartitioning my SD card and just starting from scratch. Guess what......that solved all of my problems. This phone is flying like I've never seen it before. Absolutely zero lag where I always had some before.

So, my question for you guys is how to proceed. Currently I am running TT's Classic v 0.0.6 (which I love) with the Classic kernel v 1.2. My card is unpartitioned and I'm using Apps2SD off of the market. I know that A2SD is a better option but I'm unsure if that was part of my problem.

Can you do a nandroid and restore with Apps2SD? With A2SD you just backup the SD ext partition but with Apps2SD I know that only part of the app is on the card and the rest is still on the phone.

Anyway, I'm just a little unclear about how to proceed and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

TT's classic has A2SD baked in, so you shouldnt be flashing dt A2SD with it.

Apps2SD is the same as the built in one so you would have to back up SD-android secure

Scotlac likes this.
  3. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Aahhhh, that's what SD-android secure is! I always wondered what that was for......

That's strange that Classic has baked in A2SD. I never had the partition show up on TB when I was using it so I had no idea.

Has anybody ever heard of A2SD slowing down an entire ROM? I can see how it might slow down app functioning but not the whole phone. I'm leaning towards the idea that it was an app that was causing my problems, in which case I'll probably try to repartition and go back to A2SD.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Many sense-based ROMS already come with it. Tommy's classic & MikG being the big ones but theres many others.

Scotlac likes this.
  5. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

It seems like some of the roms that have a2sd built in, even though they are used with partitioned sd cards, need to have some commands issued in terminal emulator, before they work.

Those commands are in our guide, http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html as well as the directions to partition in the first place. I would suggest just a 1 gig partition and no swap.

Anyway, it has been suggested that at least a class 6 card be used with a2sd.

I got by with a class 4 till my class 10 came in and I had no problems. It just depends on what sort of apps you are running. I wasn't running anything very intense. No games or anything.

Another thing, I don't think it is a good idea to mix apps2sd, with a2sd. use one or the other but not both at once.

argedion, Rxpert83 and Scotlac like this.
  6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Not a good idea to mix the two the only thing the OP needs to do is to make the partition and tt's a2sd will do the rest the lag was probably because of the write over burned in is much better than flashed into. Not a bad thing to ask before doing. I don't care to always take the time to read things either but sometimes its a necessary evil :D partition the card and you should be good to go if you have any more issues just post and we'll get to work on figuring it out :)

Scotlac and dustwun77 like this.
  7. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Sorry Argedion,

I didn't understand this part. Would you mind clarifying?

Thanks!

8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Where'd he go? :p

I think he was assuming your earlier attempts were using dt you had to flash versus a2sd being built into the rom from the get go and attributing the lag to the version you had to flash.

I was thinking you had used roms with it built in before though. could be wrong on my interpretation of his post too. :D

Scotlac likes this.
  9. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Here, yeah. I've used it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference in performance.

10. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Sorry I've been doing some much need spring cleaning on the comp and I had to make dinner so between the two I've been busy the last few hours :D

Sorry for the confusion So to clarify what I was saying is
    Tommy has it burn into the ROM so trying to Flash over what has already been burned in is not a good Idea. Thats how files get corrupt. And I was making the simple statement that it is better when a Dev burns it in to the ROM, rather than we Flash into the ROM. When the Dev burns it in, They also put in all the support for it. When we flash we have to make sure we have all the support added in that we need for it to work. In Most Cases the flash itself is good enough but sometimes we need to hit the command prompt and do some good ole keyboarding :rolleyes:

Also note that a2sd may not be the issue it could be a program that you are using that is causing all this fuss sometimes its just really hard to tell. Thats why its best not to blame things until we know for sure :p <<< you can really ignore this part i'm being a butt however there is some salt to what I'm saying :)

Scotlac and dustwun77 like this.
  11. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Makes sense! I think I'll go ahead and repartition to give it another go.

Thanks again guys!

dustwun77 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews