1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

NAS Samba shares and Android...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mumpster99, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Mumpster99

Mumpster99 Lurker

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but thought it would be a good place to start.

I have a Toshiba Thrive, a Samsung Droid Charge and two Windows 7 PC's running in my home network. I have setup Samba shares on my main computer which are accessible and viewable to all of the other devices. However when I setup a NAS drive on my network only the PC's can see it. I'm using an Addonics NASU2 USB to Ethernet adapter to mount a Seagate USB external hard drive on my network. My router is a D-Link DIR-623 and other than the lame SharePort interface for the USB connection it has worked well for a long time. I use static IP addressing on the router for my dedicated devices and I use Estrong File Explorer on my Android devices and they see the Windows Samba shares just fine.

So enough on the back ground stuff. What I would like to know is if anyone has setup network samba shares before and had any luck getting Android to see them? If so what hardware/software did you use and how did you configure your network? Were there any special steps you had to take to get this working.

And assistance/information that someone can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mumpster99

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Hi Mumpster.

I have an Iomega ix2-200 set up as RAID1 NAS storage (1 TB) and can access it with ES File Explorer just fine.

3. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

I use EStrongs File Explorer with SMB to connect my phone to my Netgear Duo NAS :)

Sometimes there was a connection problem when the NAS went in stand-by.
    But with stand-by mode checked off the problem vanished.

Harry

4. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast

When I add smb servers to ES I always have to put them in by ip, name never works for me.

Also I think I've ran into trouble at a friend's house in both trying to get ES to connect to a null session share on a nas (null session=shares you don't need a username for) or connecting to a regular share but with a password-less user.

5. Mumpster99

Mumpster99 Lurker

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure at this point that it is a permissions issue of some kind. I can setup the server IP address in ES File Explorer and get it to connect but cannot "do anything" once it does connect. I'm too much of a geek to not get this working. So I'll keep kicking the tires and re-post once I figure it out.

As a last resort I may wait for the prices to drop on the WIFI enabled hard drives and go that route.

Again, thanks for the input.
    Mumpster99