• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Native Mail App Deletes My Email.. Gingerbread.

wastedagen

Oct 30, 2010
I've just updated and all went well. Lost nothing in the way of apps, settings etc......

But one thing that hasn't fairer well is that now the native app likes to delete all my emails from my inbox. Even before I have read them. When I refresh the emails turns up. Then if I exit the app and re-open It, or just refresh the app the emails are deleted from my inbox and server.

Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you overcome it. At present I'm now having to use yahoo mail app which I'm not keen on as its power and data hungry.

Thanks in advance......

With POP3, yahoo would send the mail to your device, deleting it from the server. That way, if you delete the mail from your device, it's gone altogether. With IMAP, there's a bit of synching that goes on between the 2 devices so that generally speaking, stuff won't get deleted accidentally. This link explains it better than I can.

In all fairness, that's all by the by if it was working fine before the update. Obvious question, but have you tried setting the account up again?

Failing that, take a look at a 3rd Party app like K9 or something?

Upvote 0
With POP3, yahoo would send the mail to your device, deleting it from the server. That way, if you delete the mail from your device, it's gone altogether. With IMAP, there's a bit of synching that goes on between the 2 devices so that generally speaking, stuff won't get deleted accidentally. This link explains it better than I can.

In all fairness, that's all by the by if it was working fine before the update. Obvious question, but have you tried setting the account up again?

Thanks for the link and info. Ill look into another app for now....

Regards

Upvote 0

Some email providers give you an option to keep a copy on the server as a backup with POP3. I know gmail does for one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones